Why become a member? ×

Badass II Bridge

BottomE

Hello,

i recently bought a Fender Jazz bass with a Badass II bridge installed. I notice that each saddle on the bridge has 4 notches where it is possible to place the strings. Is it just a case of threading the string into the notch that i want and making sure that each string then follows the same pattern or is there a specific rule that i should follow? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I had the bass setup but the strings are a bit far apart for my liking.

Thanks

They come notched and un-notched. With the un-notched ones you're supposed to get a file and notch it yourself. Possibly that bridge has been on a few different basses and everytime it was installed on a different bass another notch had to be filed.

Since you have a choice I would experiment and see what feels comfortable. If none of the notches feel comfortable you could always just file another (if there's room).

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1133379' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:12 PM']Mine came uncut and now has only one V for it to sit. Is it a factory thing or has someone made the cuts them self?[/quote]
Are you hungover Pete? Are they filed or not? :)
It's easy to tell if someone has put grooves in themselves as it goes through the chrome.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1133411' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:33 PM']Are you hungover Pete? Are they filed or not? :)
It's easy to tell if someone has put grooves in themselves as it goes through the chrome.[/quote]
I mean they came uncut but now have one V because I put it there :lol:

Its Fender trying to incorporate there vintage bridge saddles into the BAII then? Typical..... Slap a ....Oh hang on...erm...Schaller on it? :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1133441' date='Feb 19 2011, 03:07 PM']My Mike Dirnt came from the factory with the grooves already in them does it look like

I think in that picture the A string was in the wrong groove.[/quote]
I think they are the special edition saddles. At least, on one of the BA3's I had which came with an extra set of saddles so you could choose groved or ungrooved said it was the special ed set.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1133518' date='Feb 19 2011, 04:02 PM'].....It always seemed daft to me when the tooling exists to make them with the grooves why not just do all of them like that. Some of the home grooved ones look a bit rough.[/quote]
The great thing about being able to put in your own grooves is that you can custom fit it to your needs. Or sometimes Fenders come with slightly misaligned bridges. All you have to do is whack a BA in, using the same misaligned screw holes but now you can grove the bridge to correct the problem. Conversely, I had a 70's RI with what looked like the same issue and when I put a BA2 on I found that I didn't need to file the saddles at all as the strings found their way directly over the pole pieces by themselves - it was the grooves in the original bbot bridge which had caused the problem.

Yep I suspect I'll probably never buy another pre (home) grooved BA again as they are usually a bit rough and not that accurately executed.... unless it's one that I've done. :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1137515' date='Feb 22 2011, 07:21 PM']I have had a little play with them and they feel either too far apart or too close together. Theres no way someone as cack-handed as me is gonna start filing away at it so i guess i might try a standard Fender bridge and go from there.[/quote]
I know what you mean. On my one remaining bass with a BA (it's a BAIII with factory grooves) it feels a little like a compromise.