Why become a member? ×

Famous bassists

Joe 'Dingo' Wright

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1142035' date='Feb 26 2011, 02:47 AM']don't matter how famous you are. ther's always someone better![/quote]

Just had a quick look at your recent posts mate... I realise that they are all posted at 'silly o clock' in the morning but either someone has hacked your account or you've been hitting the sauce bottle pretty hard and taking your woes out on we imaginary people on t'interweb! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1140659' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:33 PM']Nikki Sixx.

Not the best bassist in the world, probably not the best bassist in Motley Crue. But he runs around, throws shapes and poses, and knows how to entertain. That's why he made me want to play bass.[/quote]

Thats a very good point, it isn't always about awesome technique, its also about connecting with your audience and putting on a good show. Although, i think stereotypically, bassists are the mad ones in the band, apart from some lead guitarists. lol

I find it interesting that people recommend Jaco when it comes to jazz...hes never a player that comes to mind for me, its always John Patitucci, Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus, Matt Garrison etc....

Current favourites

John Patitucci - Best jazz bassist ive ever heard IMO, on electric or upright

Tony Grey - Love his solo work and his playing with the Hiromi Trio. one of the most melodic soloists out there

Matt Garrison - Mind bending technique and one of the more unique compositional voices

Stuart Zender - Groove. The end

Mick Karn - got into his playing recently and hes quickly become my favourite fretless player

Two big influences for me in the seventies were John Wetton and Ric Grech.

I loved Wetton's playing (and singing) with Moghul Thrash, Family and King Crimson.
I saw him in the Crimson trio with him, Bill Bruford on drums and, of course, Lord Fripp on guitar. Wetton more than held his own with those two musical egg-heads and he looked as cool as f***
I never liked Asia though. To me they sounded juvenile after Family and Crimson.

Ric Grech played with Family (see the theme here?), Traffic and Blind Faith. Good, solid bassman, underrated I think. Any sideman of Steve Winwood's has to be good.
Sadly passed at the age of 43 in 1990.