Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 715 opinions

xZNHYPERx

I had a 715X for a bit. I bought it new for just over £600 a couple of years ago.

Nice amp but incredibly heavy and awkward to lug around. Had to

If you're going to gig or cart it to rehearsals there are plenty of options. I (and my back) was incredibly glad to swap to a seperate head and cabs.

The TC Electronic BG500 combos are another similar combo around that price that are worth looking at.

[quote name='xZNHYPERx' post='1129881' date='Feb 16 2011, 04:54 PM']I'm looking at buying a Trace Elliot 715 after just starting to playing again after over five years of not.

Its £579.00 inc VAT, is there a better option for the price? I'd appreciate to pros and cons people.[/quote]

I have a old pre-Gibson 715, and it's lovely. Albeit chunky (which you struggle to get away from for a 15" combo). It's a great format if you can cope with it.

For my money, I'm not enamoured with the new TE stuff... all the charm has gone.

[quote name='drewm' post='1129907' date='Feb 16 2011, 12:12 PM']I have a old pre-Gibson 715, and it's lovely. Albeit chunky (which you struggle to get away from for a 15" combo). It's a great format if you can cope with it.

For my money, I'm not enamoured with the new TE stuff... all the charm has gone.

[/quote]

I had a beat-er version of the same combo- nice sound and a surprise for the size. Yep, kinda heavy, a tad awkward. Bug a little wheel cart and a bungee will get it around alright. I don't know what the currency equals for me here in the states, but I got mine for under $200 US and it was a fine deal. Great sound, kept me happy until I could work out what I really wanted.

I used it on top of an 1153-T cab and it was plenty for the small rock/pop gigs I was doing.

I think that the new 715 trace elliots have been discontinued, I'm sure if you shop about you could get one for less than £500 as many of them have been just sitting unsold in stores for ages. If I mind right they were only 200 watts or so going into a four ohm load, meaning that you can't hook up one with an extra extension cab.

They are good amps but I would maybe reccomend looking out for an older Trace Elliot combo on ebay or on this site. I'm not saying that the new stuff isn't good (I own two of the new cabs and use them happily) but I just think that you can get a really good Trace Elliot 1x15 from either the glory days or the Kamen era(post Gibson stuff doesn't have a great reputuation). The older combos tend to be a good bit louder too as old TE watts go a long way. You would also save a couple of hundred quid too. They tend to be a lot heavier though. Saying that the new combos are not exactly light either!

Of course, there are a lot of good amps/combos for around £500 today, such as Hartke, TC Electronic, Ashdown, Fender Rumble, and more if you don't feel like you have to have the Trace Elliot signature sound.

Best of luck.

I have a 12band 15" combo (180ishW@8ohm/300W@4ohm) buildt by Gibson but already designed befre they took on the TE company. Wonderfull thing, a tank in every aspect - indestructible, bulk, heavy and capable of taking down a small building. It has no tweeter and my back isn't 18yold anymore so i had to move on...
I'll always have the biggest respect and love for old trace gear. Won't hesitate using one if i find it on a stage but wont lug it up there...

[quote name='thodrik' post='1130494' date='Feb 17 2011, 12:29 AM']I think that the new 715 trace elliots have been discontinued, I'm sure if you shop about you could get one for less than £500 as many of them have been just sitting unsold in stores for ages. If I mind right they were only 200 watts or so going into a four ohm load, meaning that you can't hook up one with an extra extension cab.[/quote]

That's the plain 715 you're thinking of, thodrik. The 715x is rated at 360W into its 8ohm internal speaker, and 600W with an 8ohm extension - parallel to give 4ohms together. The 715x has a separate Speakon outlet for the extension, with the internal plugged into a 1/4" socket next to it.

I've never owned one of these, but I've tried a friend's, and it's a real contender, especially at this price. She is very pleased with the sound with her passive Dean Jeff Berlin bass. It's a recognisably Trace Elliot sound, solid and punchy. Add a 1028H and it's very loud indeed. However, what she is not pleased with is the weight. 80lbs! Even on castors (do they come with these or did she add them? Don't know.) it's a real handful (did I mention something about 80lbs?) and totally impossible for her to load unaided, especially with only side handles, so that she often ends up using her little Line 6 Studio 110 whenever she can get away with it - on small pub gigs, and with acoustic guitarists.

[quote name='PVTele' post='1130603' date='Feb 17 2011, 09:14 AM']That's the plain 715 you're thinking of, thodrik. The 715x is rated at 360W into its 8ohm internal speaker, and 600W with an 8ohm extension - parallel to give 4ohms together. The 715x has a separate Speakon outlet for the extension, with the internal plugged into a 1/4" socket next to it.

I've never owned one of these, but I've tried a friend's, and it's a real contender, especially at this price. She is very pleased with the sound with her passive Dean Jeff Berlin bass. It's a recognisably Trace Elliot sound, solid and punchy. Add a 1028H and it's very loud indeed. However, what she is not pleased with is the weight. 80lbs! Even on castors (do they come with these or did she add them? Don't know.) it's a real handful (did I mention something about 80lbs?) and totally impossible for her to load unaided, especially with only side handles, so that she often ends up using her little Line 6 Studio 110 whenever she can get away with it - on small pub gigs, and with acoustic guitarists.[/quote]

I was aware of that, but isn't the title of the thread for the 715? I'm sure that the 715X is a lot expensive than £500, in fact GAK have them for over £1200. So if it is the 715X for £579, then its a fairly good deal.

I've not tried the new series 715X. I have an old 1x15 combo from the GP7 SM300 series. Same idea though. Loud, good tone, killer with an extension cab and heavy as hell!

[quote name='thodrik' post='1130918' date='Feb 17 2011, 12:55 PM']I was aware of that, but isn't the title of the thread for the 715?[/quote]

Sorry! Knowing the 715x I just mentally inserted the 'x'. You're quite right - the 715 is a lot cheaper, and a lot less amp. I hadn't realised the 715x was more than twice the price... that puts a different complexion on the OP's question for sure. For that money there are plenty of alternatives with at least as good a spec, aren't there? Ashdown, GK, Laney (the RB8's a darn good, unjustly neglected, amp, as is its 2x10 cousin (RB7?))...

Edited by PVTele

[quote name='PVTele' post='1131401' date='Feb 17 2011, 06:52 PM']Sorry! Knowing the 715x I just mentally inserted the 'x'. You're quite right - the 715 is a lot cheaper, and a lot less amp. I hadn't realised the 715x was more than twice the price... that puts a different complexion on the OP's question for sure. For that money there are plenty of alternatives with at least as good a spec, aren't there? Ashdown, GK, Laney (the RB's a darn good, unjustly neglected, amp, as is its 2x10 cousin (RB7?))...[/quote]

True, I forgot about the RBs, I think they are really good value for money.

I meant RB8, the 1x15" job. (Edited post to correct myself!) It has a decent 8ohm extension speaker out, which is a good thing, especially at this price point. And GAK have the 2x10" RB7 reduced to £366 at the moment, £3 less than the RB8. That has to be a bargain!