Why become a member? ×

USA precision standard 5 - additional pickup

mr_russ

I picked up a Fender usa precision standard 5 string in November last year, it's a cracking bass.
The low B is stunning and the bass is dead light, it took more time than usual to set up, but after the old business-card-in-the-neck-pocket shim trick, it's spot on.

The P bass sound is great, I'm appreciating it more and more but there are still times when I could really do with a 2 pickup sound.

My question is, have any of you added a J or other pickup to your USA fender precision, 5 string or otherwise, and what model did you go for?

Any experiences, words of wisdom?

Cheers in advance!

Russ

I'm not sure what you mean by 2-pickup sound Russ, but if you need greater tonal variety, I'd install a P-Retro. There are several advantages over the classic J-PUP mod, not least of which is that it's a drop-in unit and entirely reversible, meaning you can return the bass to stock if you sell it. The tonal options are also impressive to say the least, far better than was the case with my Sadowsky Precision for example. I could get tones varying from Telebass neck humbucking thump through to something very close to a Jazz bridge pickup bark. It takes some time to get used to the controls, but once you do, especially combining the passive and active components of the preamp, it's extremely user-friendly and powerful.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='1127201' date='Feb 14 2011, 04:57 PM']I'm not sure what you mean by 2-pickup sound Russ, but if you need greater tonal variety, I'd install a P-Retro. There are several advantages over the classic J-PUP mod, not least of which is that it's a drop-in unit and entirely reversible, meaning you can return the bass to stock if you sell it. The tonal options are also impressive to say the least, far better than was the case with my Sadowsky Precision for example. I could get tones varying from Telebass neck humbucking thump through to something very close to a Jazz bridge pickup bark. It takes some time to get used to the controls, but once you do, especially combining the passive and active components of the preamp, it's extremely user-friendly and powerful.

Chris[/quote]

When you take into account paying a luthier to cut the J hole, buying the pickup and having it installed you might find the price won't be that much different to a P-Retro anyway. That said, if you're definite you want two pickups or don't want active why not install a double coil bridge pickup like a Delano Hybrid or a Wizard Combo?

Don't be scared off modding your bass if you reckon it's a keeper. I don't have any regrets installing a Schaller Jazz pickup in my JV Precision even though I get daggers from the classic crowd :) It's a way to make it totally personalised but I'd give the P retro a try too - it's not much money considering the difference it can make.

I guess most people get the Precision Deluxe 5er?
Or trade their P5 in and get one.
+1 to something other than a single "J" at the bridge. I liked the old P Deluxe with the Big Block HB in it.
Better still (also as suggested) get some sort of double-coil with a tap, or even a Series/Parallel/Single coil switch..