Why become a member? ×

Bergantino AE410 vs Ampeg PN-410HLF Pro Neo ?

Algae

[quote name='Algae' post='1124863' date='Feb 12 2011, 12:27 PM']Yeah that's the one. Maybe I need a new head as well then :)[/quote]

maybe...but not until you have got to grips with the cabs of your choice.
Reading between the lines... I think the Berg might be a bit too focused for your needs.

The thing about these hi end 10's can be that you hear stuff you aren't used to hearing..which may or may not help you.

The first time out with a quality 410 can be disconcerting in that you'll hear everything... and some stuff you might not like. Ultimately, it may tighten up your playing.. as it may not be forgiving of unclean lines. You either embrace this or you don't.

I liken it to your first session solo'ed and you either adopt that lesson or you ignore it. The ultimate upshot of that may be that clean lines are easy to mix in band situation but I can think of many recordings with ugly bass on it that the engr has spent ages fixing. Anything by McCartney for starters...but that is another thread..:)

Seriously, uber clean sounding cabs are not for everyone...so pick the sound you like and can work with, IMV.
I wouldn't rule out your Ashdown yet..or the Ampeg, for that matter. It will be what works in your context.

If it was between Ampeg and Berg I;d go Berg every time (but I've never been convinced by any Ampeg gear I've heard)

My ae410 has proven its worth on enough gigs, it sounds superb, the low B of my Roscoe is perfect through it, and I wouldn't call it overly aggressive at all, it has some bite, but its easily tame-able if that is what you want to do (either eq-ing your amp or turning down the tweeter, no big deal).

IME too much deep low end on a gig is a recipe for disaster, very very few rooms really cope with it at volume, tending to leave a lot of mud and boom and very little clarity. That was a reason for going with the little ae410 (its about as small a 410 as you will ever find, which is cool), and I've not wanted for low end with it ever.

I would add that turning the tweeter off complettely leaves a really superb 'old school' sounding cab, its ace like this!