Why become a member? ×

Bass tuning question

Macklaud

Hi guys.

Well i have a problem in my hand and i could use some help.
My problem is that the guitar players in my band use ther guitars on B - F. - B - E - G. - C. tunning. (i know that its wierd to have that tuning on 6 strings guitar's)
So my question is what tuning should i have on my bass...

I have a 5 strings bass...
Btw do you guys think that my bass can take high tension strings without having problems in the neck? Because i think i will need them with this kind of tuning.

Its a sandberg basic 5

Here is the link [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_basic5_bk.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_basic5_bk.htm[/url]

Edited by Macklaud

That tuning sounds terrifying! I would personally try playing in a standard BEADG tuning, but if that proves difficult to play some of the riffs you may have to match the guitar tunings. You should be fine if you buy a really light 4 string set, maybe 90 - 70 - 50 - 30 or thereabouts, then put a standard 125/130 B string on the bottom. Someone else with a bit more experience with tuning UP may be able to offer better advice :)

Tuning up shouldn't cause you any problems in the neck, but it's likely that you will need to get your bass set-up, preferably by an experienced tech.

Ahh i understand! I was in a band that played in C standard, and I tried tuning my bass CEADGC. I had a lot of trouble with the open notes too! You'd definately be better off tuning up in that case.

If you're a metal player, I'd suggest Bass Centre Elites Stadium Series. They're stainless steel and so give you a nice aggressive sound, and they do an extra-light 4 string set of 30 - 50 - 70 - 90. You'd then want to get a seperate .125 or .130 gauge for the B. I don't know anywher that does single Elite strings though. So you could always try www.stringbusters.com and go for some Rotosounds instead. I believe they do a set the same gauges, and that site sells singles :)

Good luck with your quest for odd gauged strings! I've had nothing but trouble trying to find a 6-string set for tuning down to ADGCFBb. I just have extra floppy 130 - 30 at the moment! :)

Convert what they play, ie know the real key rather than their fretted key and play in standard tuning if possible, otherwise you may have to adjust the set up on your bass each time you play with them and then need a standard tuning

What sort of songs are you doing for them to do this?