Why become a member? ×

Suboctave FX and flapping cones

dincz

Not unless you really push it to extremes. Most octavers don't track very well below A so you're unlikely to get much really low going on, and much of the sound from an octaver is the extra harmonic stack all an octave lower, not the fundamental of the octave down note. What's the pedal? You'll see the cone moving tons and then hear the increasing distortion well before damage occurs.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1114553' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:24 PM']Not unless you really push it to extremes. Most octavers don't track very well below A so you're unlikely to get much really low going on, and much of the sound from an octaver is the extra harmonic stack all an octave lower, not the fundamental of the octave down note. What's the pedal? You'll see the cone moving tons and then hear the increasing distortion well before damage occurs.[/quote]
is there anything that will deliver down to 20 hz ? for synth/dubstep tones

a sub-sub woofer ?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1114672' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:42 PM']is there anything that will deliver down to 20 hz ? for synth/dubstep tones[/quote]

You don't need to do that low for those sounds, and I doubt 99% of clubs playing dubstep do. The best PA rigs will be managing strong output about down to around 35Hz, a handful may go a bit lower.

I've used an octave divider with a Big One initially, and then a Super Twelve T. The Big One just laughed. Yes, I could see some cone movement, and there was plenty of air movement from the port, but there was no detectable distortion or complaint. The main concern was for the amp, which got hot very rapidly! The Big One handled a suboctaved E string no problem. The sheer power and authority was a bit mad really. :)

Having said that, I'd rarely use anything below bottom A with the suboctave on. Low enough.

The Super Twelve still handles the suboctaved E, but the overall effect is definitely down audibly as the Big One's output went a fair bit lower. It's still pretty impressive though, with the Compact apparently offering a similar performance, based on the specs. This being the case - I wouldn't worry too much. The Super Twelve quickly picks up from the lowest G upwards, and the bottom end from the A up gets much closer to the Big One to my ears. The only things flapping will be your trousers. :)

Thanks for all the tips. To be honest, I'm unlikely to be playing below A anyway on the songs where I use the octaver.

Admission - I'm using a Behringer V-Amp - one of several bits of Behringer kit I've acquired in recent months. No complaints whatsoever with any of them.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1114672' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:42 PM']is there anything that will deliver down to 20 hz ? for synth/dubstep tones

a sub-sub woofer ?[/quote]

To be fair, anything around 45hz-50hz still has a huge stomach shaking sub to it, not sure 20hz would be very healthy on the body at volume! :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1115641' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:35 PM']To be fair, anything around 45hz-50hz still has a huge stomach shaking sub to it, not sure 20hz would be very healthy on the body at volume! :)[/quote]
i just tried a frequency test on my hi-fi, and i guess you're right..although 20hz was virtually undetectable on my wharfedales, 30hz was awesome !

i once heard that certain low frequencies that are out of audible range can cause unwanted bowel movements.

that would be one messy gig. :) .. doin' the dubstep shuffle !

[url="http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php"]http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php[/url]

Edited by phil.i.stein