Why become a member? ×

Help! Minor fault, big problem

Gust0o

Wondering how best to approach this lads.

My guitarist picked my Hartke 3500c head up from our rehearsal space thus evening.

It's obviously moved in his car boot, and the Volune button has sheared off. Total accident, no blame - and my flightcase is still a week away, so total sod's law.

The metal pin runs into the potentiometer inside. That part protrudes and the pin normally slots in. Sadly, the break is recessed - I can't get traction to pulpit out and replace; to glue it; or solder it.

I think I either need to drill it out or replace the potentiometer - and I have kit for neither.

Any help guys? Without the kit to do it myself I could be knackered.

Do I take it somewhere? If so, where is good in or around York?

Can one of you sort this for some cash?

I value the head at c.£100-£150 if that helps. Would put a £70 repair and service bill into context.

Help me out please lads, this minor f*** up has really tee'd me off in the middle of a sh*te week. I can't catch a break :sad:

Stay away from glue and drills mate - you'll definately not achieve anything positive with those.
That pot is has definately had it and needs replacing.

It's not a particularly difficult job but it can be time consuming.
The 3500c has a single board running (near enough) the full width of the chassis - means that all the pots need to be released to get the board out so that the busted pot can be replaced (they're mounted on the board).

If this sort of work is outside of what you can manage then the current Hartke importers are Korg (01908 857100) - perhaps give them a call and see if they have a dealer in your area who can offer service facilities?

I don't know the York area so can't really point you at a local amp tech.

Fortunately this is a simple repair not least because you know exactly what needs doing. getting to the pot is time consuming, it could take over an hour to take the case apart and put it back together but replacing the pot is a five minute job.

Two hours labour and a few pence for the pot should cover it but messing around with glue won't do it.

Good luck!

To be honest, apart from changing pick-ups, I'm a luddite with the soldering. Hence my initial inclination to drill the remainder of the metal bolt and put a pin in to secure the knob. That way would neatly avoid going near my weak spot of soldering and circuit boards.

Yeah, it can go back via Korg - I just need to get it to Milton Keynes. They'll then provide an estimate, etc. Certainly very helpful, but might leave me out of action for a while. No phone estimate from them, they need to see it all first.

I've tried JSS Audio, locally, so we'll see what they have to say.

I am unbelievably f***ed off with myself :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1113496' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:33 AM']Yeah, it can go back via Korg - I just need to get it to Milton Keynes. They'll then provide an estimate, etc. Certainly very helpful, but might leave me out of action for a while.[/quote]

Chances are it'll be my drummer fixing it. Don't worry though, he's not a total animal like some of 'em are :)

A