Why become a member? ×

Dull sounding Bass

funky_numba

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nfC7kWBAQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nfC7kWBAQ[/url]

I want to learn some Simply Red music as per the above link.

I have a really dull sounding bass. I want a big fatter, funky sound like the above vid. I've tried everything to try to enrich the sound but it still sounds dull!!!! Changed to Rotosound Swing Strings -40-60-80-100. My bass is a Wesley Bass with 2 single coil pups.

I've cleaned the frets, the strings, raised/ lowered the pickups but I have got nowhere. I need lots more treble. I mainly play my bass thru my pc with a top notch soundcard. I want a funky sound but it still sounds bad. Do I need new, better quality pickups?

Thanks

Paul.

p.s. on the video... what is that wire that is hanging from the bridge at the bottom of the bass? What is that for?

Edited by funky_numba

[quote name='funky_numba' post='1110536' date='Feb 1 2011, 03:42 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nfC7kWBAQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nfC7kWBAQ[/url]

I want to learn some Simply Red music as per the above link.

I have a really dull sounding bass. I want a big fatter, funky sound like the above vid. I've tried everything to try to enrich the sound but it still sounds dull!!!! Changed to Rotosound Swing Strings -40-60-80-100. My bass is a Wesley Bass with 2 single coil pups.

I've cleaned the frets, the strings, raised/ lowered the pickups but I have got nowhere. I need lots more treble. I mainly play my bass thru my pc with a top notch soundcard. I want a funky sound but it still sounds bad. Do I need new, better quality pickups?

Thanks

Paul.

p.s. on the video... what is that wire that is hanging from the bridge at the bottom of the bass? What is that for?[/quote]

I suspect that part of the problem is that you are expecting too much from your PC - it was never designed to be a bass amp after all! :)
Changing the pickups on your bass is probably not going to be a cost effective exercise and you'd probably be far better off saving the money you were going to spend on pickups and looking for a proper bass combo.

The lead that looks as though it is hanging off the bridge is the guitar lead - the bass player in the video has just looped it over the strap button.

Or... that is your lot with this type of bass.

I think you need to upgrade your gear, and starting with the bass.

Some basses just sound like they sound and there isn't a lot you can do about that.
The pups should basically reproduce the inherrent sound of the componets used..namely mostly the woods and construction

Sounds partly down to the Rotosound strings to me (see many many threads on BC) I find they lose their zing after a week or 2. Could you lend a bass combo to try? The only thing I would say is don't be blinded and over the moon with the top end of a small practice amp only to be putting a thread up I a weeks time with a link to another one bites the dust but you can't get any bass out of it! Secondhand decent combo will be much better than a small/cheap new one.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1110582' date='Feb 1 2011, 07:41 AM']Sounds partly down to the Rotosound strings to me (see many many threads on BC) I find they lose their zing after a week or 2. Could you lend a bass combo to try? The only thing I would say is don't be blinded and over the moon with the top end of a small practice amp only to be putting a thread up I a weeks time with a link to another one bites the dust but you can't get any bass out of it! Secondhand decent combo will be much better than a small/cheap new one.[/quote]
+1 on the rotosounds. absolute waste of money. dead strings walking.

Assuming you have new strings... what are you listening through? Small PC speakers, or decent headphones? I get reasonable response going through a mixing desk -> soundcard.

If you get an ok sound through listening on (good) headphones, then fine. If you don't get a good sound through headphones, as people have suggested, try out through a decent bass amp. If no joy there..it's probably your bass. New pickups may fix, but if it's a cheap bass, might be quicker and easier to get a new bass.