Why become a member? ×

Recording playing with music through IMovie??

bubinga5

Ok im trying to record my playing on imovie.. ive got Garage Band, a Focusright Saffire LE interface, the Mac isight for the camera, and obviously a Mac...Its prob alot to explain but can anyone point me in the right direction...how do i sync music from i tunes with a vid of me playing...anyone seen any good tutorials on this subject?

thankyou...

ok ive got the video and sound sorted...but im stuck on how to add music from itunes? any pointers?

Edited by bubinga5

I'm not on my mac at the moment so I may be wrong, but the way I did it was:

If you've got the video and sound sorted, and iMovie is recording your playing (I'll assume you've already changed your input to your interface in the Apple system preferences), then get the song playing in itunes, get iMovie recording, and just play along to the song.

When you've finished, and dragged all the video from the event into the edit area (top left), then go to the little musical note sign at the far right which should bring up your iTunes library. Drag the song from iTunes into the edit area (or just drag it from itunes itself) and then move it around until it syncs with the track. Boom.

There may very well an easier way of doing it, but this is a 'rough and ready' guide.

What version of iMovie are you using? I normally use iMovie HD & prefer it to the newer versions (they're completely different) & you can slide the audio & video to sync.

Another option is to sync them in Garageband & then pop the synced mix into iMovie.

[quote name='Hamsalad' post='1110429' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:42 PM']I'm not on my mac at the moment so I may be wrong, but the way I did it was:

If you've got the video and sound sorted, and iMovie is recording your playing (I'll assume you've already changed your input to your interface in the Apple system preferences), then get the song playing in itunes, get iMovie recording, and just play along to the song.

When you've finished, and dragged all the video from the event into the edit area (top left), then go to the little musical note sign at the far right which should bring up your iTunes library. Drag the song from iTunes into the edit area (or just drag it from itunes itself) and then move it around until it syncs with the track. Boom.

There may very well an easier way of doing it, but this is a 'rough and ready' guide.[/quote]
thanks H..i will try that... what im thinking is though, if im in imovie..recording vid/sound through i movie, and ive got sound of bass and vid of me, how can it pick up the music from itunes, that is not playing through imovie? surely i have to access the track through imovie and add it to imovie in the first place..?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1110472' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:15 AM']What version of iMovie are you using? I normally use iMovie HD & prefer it to the newer versions (they're completely different) & you can slide the audio & video to sync.

Another option is to sync them in Garageband & then pop the synced mix into iMovie.[/quote]how do i find out what version i have..im a total dummy when it comes to computers.. i bought the Mac a year and a half ago.. so its fairly new...i dont even know how to sync music with GB.. yes i am ashamed..

If you open finder & go to applications, then scroll down to iMovie, single click on it & next to it should be an icon for it & details below it. It should have a list saying Name, Kind, etc & at the bottom just before the more info button, it should say version. 6.0.4 is HD. I'll have a wee play about with them both this week & post what I do (if you don't get it sussed before hand).

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1110489' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:27 AM']thanks H..i will try that... what im thinking is though, if im in imovie..recording vid/sound through i movie, and ive got sound of bass and vid of me, how can it pick up the music from itunes, that is not playing through imovie? surely i have to access the track through imovie and add it to imovie in the first place..?[/quote]

What I mean is: Open both iMovie and iTunes. Don't import the track at this stage, just get the song playing in iTunes and then switch to iMovie and record yourself playing to it. AFTER you have done this, then import that song and sync it up with the video you have recorded.

Make sure you have the song playing before you switch to iMovie, as, if you start recording in iMovie and switch to iTunes, iMovie will stop importing. If the song doesn't give you enough time to get iMovie recording, then just play a bit of whatever song comes before it in the playlist to give you time to switch.

I'm going to be back home with my Mac on Wendesday, so if you're still having trouble by then I can put togethar a quick demo.

Good luck!

[quote name='Hamsalad' post='1110699' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:58 AM']What I mean is: Open both iMovie and iTunes. Don't import the track at this stage, just get the song playing in iTunes and then switch to iMovie and record yourself playing to it. AFTER you have done this, then import that song and sync it up with the video you have recorded.

Make sure you have the song playing before you switch to iMovie, as, if you start recording in iMovie and switch to iTunes, iMovie will stop importing. If the song doesn't give you enough time to get iMovie recording, then just play a bit of whatever song comes before it in the playlist to give you time to switch.

I'm going to be back home with my Mac on Wendesday, so if you're still having trouble by then I can put togethar a quick demo.

Good luck![/quote]Ok thats great..thanks man...i will let you know how i got on..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1111413' date='Feb 1 2011, 06:36 PM']ok ive got the music down..(bit tricky to sync mind).. i just need to adjust the volumes..i can only just hear my bass? also half was through i got some hissing?

are the volumes adjusted before or after... if after what are you guys using..i only have Garage Band..[/quote]

Yeah, the new iMovie is an absolute sack of sh't so syncing (or trying to do anything) can get a bit frustrating.

You need to cmd click click on the song you imported and adjust the audio level until it's really really low, then boost the level of your playing. If you really want to, you can export the audio into something like Logic and master it to get it a bit louder and more present. I'm not sure how you'd do it in Garageband as I moved to Logic ages ago, but if you want, you can send your exported audio track over to me and I'll master it for you.

Once again, I'm still not yet home with my Mac so I can't tell you exactly how to export the audio, but I'd assume it would be pretty intuitive. Otherwise just type 'Exporting audio from iMovie' into google.

Oh, and the hissing? No idea, sorry. Maybe boost the output on the interface and drop the input on your Mac.

Edited by Hamsalad

Try doing your editing in Garageband. Save your iMovie file & then open GB, open finder & drag the movie file straight out of finder & drop onto a track in GB.
You can then add your other track as another audio track & adjust the levels to suit, including using the AU fx to improve the sound quality a bit (compressor, etc).

I use GB to strip the audio from any video files, whether that be to use the audio or the video separately.