Why become a member? ×

Custom build dilema...

MuckedUpFunkies

[quote name='chris_b' post='1109208' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:14 AM']1. Get an original 60's Fender jazz or Precision, or both. Put them away.
2. Get a [s]second hand Overwater Progress 3[/s] brand new Warwick.
3. Think about custom made basses in about 15 years.
4. Have a holiday in [s]US taking in Austin, New Orleans and New York[/s] Bognor Regis.[/quote]
Fixed :)

Is your current bass lacking? if not really then hesitate.

I started learning on a beautiful status shark pro-active bass. But when started playing in my old band I ended up going out and buying a P bass, not i have a warwick and a P bass, and they fit most of what I need.

In the last few months I bought and sold (at no outlay to myself except I think one set of postage) two amazing jazz basses, first a valenti jazz which was amazing and in hind sight i should have just learned to live with the the things i didn't like about it, and then a Factory special run USA '75 ri jazz bass (awesome but i found myself only using the front pup in the band and in the end I couldn't justifying owning both that and the warwick so it went to spain)
so if you are carefull it is possible to tryout/own basses and then sell them at very little loss.
Play as much as you can, and be aware, like me, the sound you are going for will change with time/playing styles/opportunities etc

if i were you though i would stick the money in an isa or something and leave it there as a bass fund until after uni. then spend it on a bass or paying off some debt, whatever seems better.
also bare in mind insurance costs over 4 years of uni (or 3 in england i suppose)

[quote name='silddx' post='1109206' date='Jan 31 2011, 11:13 AM']I would only ever do it if I could replicate the neck dimensions of something that already exists that I loved the feel of. The neck is the most important thing. The rest is pretty much easy to sort.[/quote]

I totally agree with you.
I costed up a Warmoth P/J and it came to 1/2 the cost of a Shuker (excl. shipping and duties), but it wouldn't have a neck that I want.
So the question for me is; Is getting a custom bass that's EXACTLY what I want worth double the cost of something that's close?

I shall spend the next few months deciding...