Why become a member? ×

Warwick strap locks ?

dmccombe7

I have an early Warwick Thumb bass from 1989. It came without the Schaller strap locks although apparently the strap button is the basis for the strap lock. It has a threaded bolt fixing the button to the bass rather than wood screw type and the button is also slightly recessed into the wood.

The new Warwick strap locks have a wood screw and the diameter of the button doesn't fit the recess (too big) Also the threaded bolt doesn't fit through the new Warwick strap locks.

Without doing major reworks to the bass itself to fit new type of Warwick strap locks does anyone have any thoughts.
I'm loathe to change the actual bass from its original state when I bought it.

Does anyone know if the old original Warwick strap locks are still available ?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
[attachment=70345:DSC00810.JPG]
[attachment=70344:DSC00809.JPG]
[attachment=70343:DSC00807.JPG]

Edited by dmccombe7

Hopefully Warwickhunt will be along soon with his huge knowledge of '80s Warwicks. In the meantime ...

Could you post a pic of the button and stuff? The oldest Wicks I'm familiar with have Dunlop straplocks, and these are easily available.
They are similar to the new Warwick locks but the Warwick straplocks won't go inside the Dunlop buttons as the shaft is too big. That sounds like what you're experiencing, so I think you've got Dunlops, not Schallers. But a pic should clarify what sort they are.

Edited by mart

Thanks for quick reply.
Good idea with the pics - that would make good sense. Will try and get some attached today.

From what I'm told by Bass Centre the old Warwick strap locks which are the Schallers went over the button rather than inside.
The button on mine has an almost flush hex head and threaded bolt style with inserted bolt style thread in the body.

From what I can gather the dunlops were used in the early 90's.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

A google search for Schaller and Dunlop and Warwick strap buttons might show you which you've got. Certainly Warwick used some Schaller hardware back then and, now it comes back to me, my Nobby had Schaller locks when I got it. Don't know if they were original or not, but it's a possibility.

You rang! :)

My brains not functioning properly today but if you stick a pic up I may be able to help.

There are different makes and sizes on the various Warwicks and the early ones do 'bolt' rather than 'screw' in as there is a threaded thingy (see my brain is fuzzed with this cold) inserted into the wood which the bolt screws into. They rarely come out without you trying to get them out but on occasion they can come out when taking the strap button off and some folks don't realise what they are and sling them. If it is the part of the locking system that fixes to the strap I may (no promises) have a spare pair but I'd need to know I was talking about the same thing.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1107226' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:23 PM']You rang! :)

My brains not functioning properly today but if you stick a pic up I may be able to help.

There are different makes and sizes on the various Warwicks and the early ones do 'bolt' rather than 'screw' in as there is a threaded thingy (see my brain is fuzzed with this cold) inserted into the wood which the bolt screws into. They rarely come out without you trying to get them out but on occasion they can come out when taking the strap button off and some folks don't realise what they are and sling them. If it is the part of the locking system that fixes to the strap I may (no promises) have a spare pair but I'd need to know I was talking about the same thing.[/quote]

SECONDS after I post the pics are up... uncanny!

Yep that's what I thought. They are just the early standard fitting (I think new sets from Schaller are a different size) and there are loads in circulation you just don't want to be buying new straplock sets. I'll see if I have spares later... just hope they aren't becoming scarce and hard to replace! :)

Added the photos.

Did a quickie check and looks like it has the Schaller type.
Also note that the Schaller is what my guitarist uses so will see if his fits my Warwick and maybe take it from there.

Concern is that the older schallers were slightly different diameters or sizes.

At least this is a starting point so thanks for that mate.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1107228' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:26 PM']SECONDS after I post the pics are up... uncanny!

Yep that's what I thought. They are just the early standard fitting (I think new sets from Schaller are a different size) and there are loads in circulation you just don't want to be buying new straplock sets. I'll see if I have spares later... just hope they aren't becoming scarce and hard to replace! :)[/quote]

Much appreciate the help and advice. This was better and quicker than i thought.

If you have spares brilliant.
Let me know cost and I'll send payment ASAP.

Cheers
Dave

Well, WH is one the case so I can retire :)
But yes, those definitely look like modern Schallers although the size might have changed slightly. And you may be able to put new Schallers buttons in place of the old ones even if you can't just use new locks on the old buttons.

[quote name='mart' post='1107248' date='Jan 29 2011, 02:46 PM']Well, WH is one the case so I can retire :)[/quote]

You were spot on with WH. He was on the case and recognised instantly.

PS :- Retirement is only for people who are or think they are old.

Cheers
Dave :)