Why become a member? ×

Effects & Wiring & late night confusion

Mister_E

Hey chaps,

I have a puzzle; I would like to use my two basses - one is a precision (passive), other a EB musicman 5 (active). I use only two effects pedals at the moment - a digitech multi-chorus and a boss delay. My amp has two inputs for passive and active and I believe I'm right in saying I can have both instruments connected at the same time (can only play one at a time mind you). As far as I can figure I shouldn't use the effects send and return loop as the output of the loop is line level and the return jack is only 600 Ohm which might get upset with the >10K Ohm output of the delay pedal.
So, my question is; what would you recommend to allow me to have everything plugged in but be able to swap basses without re-wiring the setup each time!

Also I know I had problems last time we gigged as the PA guy DI'ed my bass and I lost all the benefits of the effects.
Should I DEMAND that I use my own amp head/effects and the DI out of that?

It's late and I'm rambling.... let me know what you think.
cheers!

You could very well do that, I was in a band in college with 2 bass players (we were a very rare class with an overabundance!), and we both went into the same amp at a gig. All you have to do is make sure the volume levels are the same which isn't as tough a job if you're the only bassist!

If you use effects, you should either politely ask the sound guy to use the DI out on your amp (if you're not polite he might accidentally on purpose make you sound like ass!)

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='tinyviking' post='1106907' date='Jan 29 2011, 12:36 AM']Hey chaps,

I have a puzzle; I would like to use my two basses - one is a precision (passive), other a EB musicman 5 (active). I use only two effects pedals at the moment - a digitech multi-chorus and a boss delay. My amp has two inputs for passive and active and I believe I'm right in saying I can have both instruments connected at the same time (can only play one at a time mind you). As far as I can figure I shouldn't use the effects send and return loop as the output of the loop is line level and the return jack is only 600 Ohm which might get upset with the >10K Ohm output of the delay pedal.
So, my question is; what would you recommend to allow me to have everything plugged in but be able to swap basses without re-wiring the setup each time!

Also I know I had problems last time we gigged as the PA guy DI'ed my bass and I lost all the benefits of the effects.
Should I DEMAND that I use my own amp head/effects and the DI out of that?

It's late and I'm rambling.... let me know what you think.
cheers![/quote]

Two part answer to this one.
I use a little A-B switchbox that allows me to connect two instruments to my amp (or effects) so I don't need to faff about with cables when changing instruments.

As for effects being missed in the PA mix you have two choices - either insist on using your own DI from the amp or make sure that the sound guy uses his DI box at the end of the effects chain instead of the start of it.

If your basses are significantly different in terms of output, then you'll need to level them some how. You could just do it with the volume pot, but for whatever reason people don't like doing that. The Boss LS-2 can have two different volumes set which you switch between. I'm sure there are other similar products.

You probably want to make sure the volume's about the same right at the start of your chain, before pedals. Then, get the engineer to take his DI after your effects. I've never heard of a sound man refusing to use someone's effects before!! I've always had them put the DI box ontop of my amp, and then ask for the cable that I normally plug into my amp (which in your case is after pedals).

Thanks for the advice chaps...
Had a play with both guitars at the weekend - the Fender seems to be louder than the musicman, all else being equal.
Found that if I stick all the tone controls of the MM full up it about matches the fender.
That's mental! I would have thought the output of an active bass would be louder??
Bare in mind this wasn't measured with a dB meter but my own human ears.

If I was using an A/B switch would I plug into the active input of the amp and leave it there?

I think the DI problem may have been that my pedals were setup for a full wet sound which was then mixed by the control on my old amp - when it was DI'ed I had to mess with the levels as the effects were too overpowering - I should apologise to the sound guy who didn't miss my effects out at all!! (it was late when I did the first post)

I do posses a Hartke VXL pedal - according to the manual i can use that to produce an effects loop and the DI output off to the FOH mixer. However - this means no backline for me! (hang on - methinks... Geddy Lee style!).

I feel I may be over-thinking things here.

I see our very own Dood has one of those G-Major2 rack units - that would definfitely work in the amp effects loop but at near £400 it's a bit much of a leap for me! But then I'd be forcing myself to use my own rig wherever we play - perhaps no bad thing?
It might be something to consider - it has many effects which might just inspire more "musical experiments".

hell's teeth, rambling again! Thanks for your advice!

You could just put your pedals in front of your amp? Sorry, I didn't realise they were in a loop. A "normal" set up would just be bass->chorus->delay->amp

when you play live, the sound man would put a DI between the delay and the amp.

When you swap basses, just turn the volume down on the P a bit.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1109452' date='Jan 31 2011, 01:54 PM']You could just put your pedals in front of your amp? Sorry, I didn't realise they were in a loop. A "normal" set up would just be bass->chorus->delay->amp

when you play live, the sound man would put a DI between the delay and the amp.

When you swap basses, just turn the volume down on the P a bit.[/quote]

Ah ha! yes, that's roughly what I was thinking. Shame - I was looking for an excuse to buy that TC G-Major thingy!!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1109527' date='Jan 31 2011, 02:56 PM']Sorry, what was I thinking...

To be able to swap between two different basses AND use effects at the same time, you need a advanced multi effects processor. You'll need a MIDI floor board to control that as well.[/quote]

...and four more basses, three 8x10" cabs and a 1000W amp head. :)

EDIT: Forgot to add the dancers :)

Edited by icastle