Why become a member? ×

Fender Basses

snazz

[quote name='snazz' post='1106365' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:18 PM']Second hand it's gonna have to be. I want nice and worn in, I just hate that newness. Feels so rough and angular.[/quote]

If U DO like the 2nd hand feel- as mentioned earlier- the Fender Road Worn basses are superb. I've owned a few MIA, MIJ/CIJ & 2 MIM's - all Fenders. The RW Precision I've got, beat's em all IMO. The JAZZ is just as good so I've heard.

Seems the quality of the MIM "SIGNATURE" models- Reggie HAmilton Jazz Steve HArris P are both beauties or 'specialty' models such as the RW, & a few others- these MIM's seem to have a far greater qualty to most MIM Fenders. Unless I just got a good one - re my RH Sig Jazz(basically a Jazz shape with P/J pups) It's a beaut. The pups in these models are great too. I know the RH sig has AM. Series P pup & a noisless J. The RW's seem to have darn good pups. My 50's Precision-maple neck/board is THE best Precision I've ever played..... & being RW- the FEEL as tho they HAVE been played for years. & it doesn't matter if U knock 'em round :-)

The Road worn are probably gonna be a budget buster for my needs right now, but you are dead right if even the neck and everything has that run in feeling, that would be just excellent. I'll look into it. I've only seen the one in passing and it was quite expensive, but I didn't enquire of its origin, so there are options I have yet to see in price.

What are Peavy Basses like, they look good, but not seen any in the flesh so to speak.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-Zodiac-BXP-4-String-Bass-Guitar-Great-Looks-/260729853501?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb4b5d63d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-Zodiac-BXP-4-...=item3cb4b5d63d[/url]

[quote name='snazz' post='1108334' date='Jan 30 2011, 05:16 PM']What are Peavy Basses like, they look good, but not seen any in the flesh so to speak.[/quote]

I've tried a couple and been left pretty unmoved by them but they're usually a reasonably priced and reasonable quality instrument.

If it helps 2009 onwards MIM's had a lot of upgrades on the previous models.

....I really like mine.

Circle of Fifths did a good write up on the differences between MIA/MIM, which maybe a lot less than most people think...?

Edited by iconic

I have a 2009 MIM , a CIJ and a MIJ, all I love, with the CIJ P being my favorite, but that may only be because it has flats on and the others don't

I have played some expensive basses that were horrid in my humble opinion

Nowadays, if your getting into playing or getting back into it at a bedroom or pub level, there is no need to worry, buy a cheap bass that you feel comfortable on and don't get into detail

I've owned a lovely squier, and played a cheap tanglewood for years

I think you really have to see most mass produced basses.
The more you see, the more chance you have of finding that fits straight away.

I wouldn't take the QC as gospel on any of them. That is not to say that there aren't very good examples out there...you just have to find them and maybe discard a load of crap.