Why become a member? ×

Remove Sticker From The Body

Knork

Now let's not get into who glued when what why on earth on a precious guitar. Off it had to go and a big sticker it was. Radius about 10cm. So far it went off completely but the complete but very thin layer of glue still sticks. Now what to do? It's a nice Candy Apple Red finish, so...

Tried so far: hairdryer, olive oil, guitarpolish. What next?

I'm not surprised those things you've tried haven't been successful. I'd say you need some sort of solvent to dissolve the remnants of the glue. The trick is to find one that will dissolve the sticker adhesive but not the guitar finish.

I've always turned to cellulose thinners when trying to clean off paper/vinyl stickers BUT this has usually been on glass or car paintwork. I've never tried it on a guitar body so I'm not sure what it might do to the finish. If you decide to give it a try then do a small test on an inconspicious part of the guiar first!

yeah i guess i have to go stronger while staying careful.

Somebody in another forum said WD40 is good and another one says it's too aggressive. I'm sure it'd all come from a good place but I'd be glad if people speak from their own experiences rather than from hearsay. :)

Lakeland do a product called "stick stuff remover". Does exactly what it says on the, er.... bottle!

[url="http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/sticky%20stuff%20remover"]http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/sticky%20stuff%20remover[/url]

A cloth dampened with warm soapy water, elbow grease and patience. :)

Don't be tempted to use nail varnish remover and the like - there's a fair chance it'll strip more than the glue off!

I have seen dedicated cleaning liquids for removing sticky marks but I've not tried it so can't really comment.

[quote name='icastle' post='1103916' date='Jan 26 2011, 04:00 PM']A cloth dampened with warm soapy water, elbow grease and patience. :)

Don't be tempted to use nail varnish remover and the like - there's a fair chance it'll strip more than the glue off!

I have seen dedicated cleaning liquids for removing sticky marks but I've not tried it so can't really comment.[/quote]
+100000000000

Lay your warm damp cloth over the patch for a few minutes first.