Why become a member? ×

Custom Graphite Necks

BTS_Spacebass

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1104794' date='Jan 27 2011, 10:41 PM']Unless the recipe of the phenolic fingerboard resin was wrong and it didn't give the necks enough stiffness.

Rob Greens approach to neck construction been trialled and tested over 20 years to help tune the necks and make them sound better. Graphite necks need VERY selective dampening to sound good.[/quote]

I don't know.
But Ned's L2 sound pretty good to me and that was a hit from the top.

Steinberger necks are resin based and a completely different design to the monocoque Status/Modulus/GUS construction.

BTW, graphite neck wiki entry for anyone who is interested:

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:tech:use_of_composites_graphite_necks_in_bass_guitar_design"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:tech:use_o...s_guitar_design[/url]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1105858' date='Jan 28 2011, 08:26 AM']That'll be one of the Series 1 Stealth models using an MDF core :) A little heavy compared to the Series II design which used epoxy foam in the core.[/quote]

Yes, thats the one. It was a 6 string but even then I couldn't believe how light it was. Like a feather!

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='1104432' date='Jan 26 2011, 09:45 PM']I could make you one - exactly to your spec! Would set you back around £600 for one, but about £70 for each one after that! And that's before the hours of labour that go into it! Hence why I wouldn't personally pay that amount!

With current composite costings on time you'd be looking at £1200 for the first one and £300 each one after that!

This is assuming you have a neck to take a mould off! If not, add another £500!

I've never made a composite neck before but as a composite laminator, that is your costings through a normal high end pre preg firm![/quote]

You must work at Advanced Composites then? I used to take Formula Renault monocoques up to you to be repaired (few years ago now)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1103156' date='Jan 26 2011, 08:17 AM']Moses just designed their necks differently to other manufacturers. I didn't like the one I had on my custom jaydee jazz bass because it lacked rigidity and moved around with temperature extremes. But moses never designed those necks to be like other graphite necks, they were designed to more like wood. Their steinberger necks are pretty damn good - very rigid, warm and not brittle sounding in the slightest.[/quote]
uhhuh. i've seen em vacuum form the graphite/epoxy lasagne over a wooden core which seems quite do-able. [url="http://www.cycfi.com/2010/10/neck-thru-construction-part-3/"]HERE[/url] in fact.

Edited by lettsguitars