Why become a member? ×

Overwater Jazz 5 String

PhilipRogerson

Hey all.

Up for sale is my 5 string J bass by Overwater.

You will have to forgive me, I'm not 100% clued up on the techy aspect of this bass. I will do my best to describe it in detail.

However, here is the link to the J series web page, if I miss something out.

[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/j-series.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/j-series.htm[/url]

Ok....

It's a 35 inch scale, swamp ash body, rosewood fingerboard, Bartolini Pickups, 2 band EQ and a full spectrum sweep + level, Active on/off switch and Hipshot pegs.

Reason for Selling....

Impulse buy. I needed a bass quickly for a scary gig depping for Damon from Ocean Colour Scene. Was using a rubbish squire copy with gaffa holding bits together. I live in Carlisle, where they are built. I got the call, 2 days to learn the tunes and find a decent bass that would make an impression. Looked everywhere for a Jazz or P bass, then remembered Overwater at the jam factory. I went down had a chat and then chose my wood and bits and pieces. They built it in 2 days and I must say, it was too good for me, and it still is.

Arrived at the HMV forum in London, waiting for sound check, in walks Damon, gutted!!!! He made it back in time to play the gig. I'm then left with a bass that is far too good for me.

My girlfriend and I are expecting a baby in May. I'm selling my drum kit, cymbals and bass + a couple of amps. I'm keeping the essentials.

So, with regret, I am selling this beautifull bass.

........................................................................................

I've used it to gig and record for a year now.

What can I say? It's amazing. I record straight into the desk with it, no pre-amp, no messing. It's pure, loud and clean. It's got massive balls.

It's a beast. It's fairly heavy. The neck is wider than I thought it would be and it took me a while to get used to it. It's unforgiving. It shows up how terrible I am on the bass ;-)

I don't need it for what I do anymore. I would keep it just incase but man, baby stuff is expensive!!

So, maybe one of you guys would like to have it?

........................................................................................

I paid £2150 for it.

It has a few dings (one on the neck, 2 on the body front and felt dings on the back) which I have photographed. Nothing too distracting. It works amazingly, as new I guess, apart from the few small dings.

I'd be really happy if someone chucked me £1600 for it. It's going up on ebay also so feel free to follow it on there.

Anyway, I'm based up in Carlisle but gig in Manchester often so, if anyone fancies it, we can hook up and you can see if you like the way it plays.

Cheers

Phil

[quote name='PhilipRogerson' post='1102837' date='Jan 25 2011, 09:45 PM']Cheers bud.

Are you still in Carlisle?[/quote]

I'm in Cardiff University for half the year, other half i'm on my hols back in a place called Burgh just outside. Not many Carlisle bassists on here though, I think theres only two others - Martin who works for Overwater n owns a pretty Progress III and another BCer comes to mind that owns a couple of lovely Overwater Jazzes like yours and an Evolution. I'm the odd one out :) I'll own an Overwater one day when the moneys good :). I know a Phil Rogers back home, but that can't be you cos hes a Thunderbird player. Best o luck with the sale! Shouldn't be a hard sell BCers are crazy for Super J's :gas

Hi Phil,
I came on here intending to put a link to the Ebay listing then realised it's in the family :)
Anyway, just for anyone's info, I have the fretless ebony board version of this bass, and in all seriousness this would be one of my 'essentials' if we were having a baby!
As you say, 'tis a weighty beast, but it's so well made that once it's on the strap it balances so well that I can play it all night without any discomfort.. and I suffer with Sciatica!
Best of luck with the sale (and with the baby!) Phil, if I could cope with frets it would be coming home with me (I mean the bass!)!
HUGH

[quote name='slapierro' post='1106474' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:21 PM']sorry but your Overwater link doesn't work,[/quote]

Hi,

Sorry about the link. I'm having an issue with pretty URL's at the moment. For now use the following link

[url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/index.php/j-series"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/index.php/j-series[/url]

Stu (the other Carlisle bass player)