Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Barefaced Midget 12" Cab.

Soliloquy

As per my other thread, I'm after two 12" cabs, or maybe two 10" cabs to replace my Acme Low B2.

Now the Low B2 is a simply amazing cab, ideal for people who want to actually hear the true sound of their bass, and particularly the Low B.

I'm about to order the first of two Acme Series 3 Low B12 cabs. With shipping and the dreaded import duty/VAT I'm looking at about £500 for each cab.

Now before I do this I'd really like to hear what people think of the Barefaced Midget cab. It's probably the closest thing I think to the new Acme cab, it may even have a similar driver. I know that Andy started off with a custom built Eminence driver, that's since been modified to Andy's specifications.

Both companies offer a return if you don't like them option. I guess it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to return a Barefaced though :).

Now I know that no one in the UK will have tried an Acme Low B12, but is the Midget really that good ?

Edited by Soliloquy

Why don’t you give Alex a call?

He used to run 2 Acme B2 cabs and will be able to explain the difference between them.

Also you're not far from Bass Direct. Why don’t you take your B2 in and compare with the cabs that Mark has in stock?

I've gigged my Midget a fair bit now, and I've no doubts about build quality at all. It feels solid, the fittings are good and the finish looks bulletproof.

As for sound, I've not used it with a fiver, so i can't say about the B, but other than that I'm very happy. I drive it with an EA Doubler and tend to roll off a little mid and up the bass a tad, but otherwise it suits my oldish school needs perfectly.

It's amazingly loud and never, ever muddy.

Sure, in the best of all worlds I'd match it with a Compact for a bigger sound, but for largish pub gigs playing country rock it's perfect on its own - more would seem like overkill.

Edited by fatback

I've been using a 'Midget T' exclusively since I received it August of last year, many gigs have been back line only, just the vocals and maybe the kick drum going through the P.A. I also play a 5 string exclusively, from function gigs to playing with a loud rock type band I've been more then happy with how it's delivered. I did spend a lot of time with it in a rehearsal room working with my amps eq and such as it's a very different beast to other cabs that I've used previously. I use a markbass lm2, I boost the bass and the low mids a great deal more than I did with my previous cab, but whatever I put in it seems capable of putting out. As previously stated I've used it many times without front of house support in smaller venues, with a loud band I've yet to take the output volume past 1 o'clock. I have no experience with the Acme range or some of the other brands mentioned so can offer no direct comparison, however with the one month return policy I would recommend checking one out before ordering atlantic wide. Hope this is of some use,
Arthur