Why become a member? ×

paulflan0151

[quote name='paulflan0151' post='1101342' date='Jan 24 2011, 08:44 PM'][url="http://www.avatarspeakers.com/s"]http://www.avatarspeakers.com/s[/url]

Hi,

Has anyone out in the UK bass world had any experience with these cabs? The prices seem too good to be true.[/quote]
link doesntwork

looks like the postage for a 2x12 cab would be 115 GBP. That just leaves the tax and duty. the cab is £240. thats £355 + taxes etc so i'm looking at about £450. Considering a berg, genz or mark bass 2x12 will set me back around £850 is seems like a steal, It's just a big leap to take without being able to test em out. aNy opinions welcome.

[quote name='paulflan0151' post='1101342' date='Jan 24 2011, 08:44 PM'][url="http://www.avatarspeakers.com/s"]http://www.avatarspeakers.com/s[/url]

Hi,

Has anyone out in the UK bass world had any experience with these cabs? The prices seem too good to be true.[/quote]

Hi I have a B210 Delta its very good, its big for a 2x10, but you can pump 700watts RMS into it and it handles anything a four string can chuck at it. It has a really flat frequency response no mid bump, very punchy, very smooth. It has a fostex tweeter one of the best I have heard. I have gigged it a lot, its can go very loud and they are really hard wearing cabs. I have even done some reggae stuff with it. Sadly Eminence no longer make the drivers for this cab as they were custom made for this cab. I don't know what the new ones are like (mine is rear ported). A guy in Holland used to sell them. He did the 2x10 2x12 and 1x12, i will try and find the sales ticket I have it somewhere
The guy in Holland had bergs and Accugroove schroder and I liked this one the best, but in hind sight the demo unit was broken in I think the the others where brand new. Funny thing I only went out to buy some beer and fags, its funny what you come back with........

Here are some picks I always use it stacked, as the picl it has no provision for being in the trad way horizontal, so I think Dave at Avatar knows what he is doing!

D

[quote name='dan670844' post='1101541' date='Jan 24 2011, 10:54 PM']SNIP... I always use it stacked, as the picl it has no provision for being in the trad way horizontal... SNIP[/quote]
.:EDIT:. I'm not sure what you mean by that. They are pictured on the Avatar website horizontally and the logo badges are stuck on that way too...? :)

Edited by Stuee

[quote name='Stuee' post='1101574' date='Jan 24 2011, 11:19 PM'].:EDIT:. I'm not sure what you mean by that. They are pictured on the Avatar website horizontally and the logo badges are stuck on that way too...? :)[/quote]

Its a stand lone cab really as its is four ohm, and was built like that. The rubber feet are on the skinny end :) but you can use em any way you like ! I use mine like that as its for monitoring, you get better near field dispersion that way (it gets to your lug 'oles) I don't really use a big amp stack anymore, usually its on a stage riser so it hits me without being too loud as I don't want to go deaf. It can still take the full output from my Amp though. I have this and a 4x8 and a 4x10 and these cover everything as it goes out through a digital idiot box (DI)

They are a bit of a cram speakers in boxes sort of operation, but they are at least aware of all the speaker design stuff, the price is low as they have a few standard boxes, and mate speakers and porting to them, so 5 of the 6 sides benefit from the economies of scale. [url="http://www.avatarspeakers.com/TB153.htm"]Their 15 + 6 + tweeter box[/url] is apparently pretty good, but we already have a home grown company covering that (except the direct equivalent is discontinued). Fairly sure you'll find an equivalent over here, Matamp make cabs to order, and have the style.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='dan670844' post='1101643' date='Jan 25 2011, 12:55 AM']Its a stand lone cab really as its is four ohm, and was built like that. The rubber feet are on the skinny end :) but you can use em any way you like ! I use mine like that as its for monitoring, you get better near field dispersion that way (it gets to your lug 'oles) I don't really use a big amp stack anymore, usually its on a stage riser so it hits me without being too loud as I don't want to go deaf. It can still take the full output from my Amp though. I have this and a 4x8 and a 4x10 and these cover everything as it goes out through a digital idiot box (DI)[/quote]

But to answer Paul's question there are so many decent UK made cabs I wouldn't bother, by the time you get hold of one you could have something superior that was UK made for less money (when you consider shipping import VAT etc as someone else has said) i.e something from Barefaced, new Ashdown uk made cabs are nice, or a cab with the New Celestion green /orange label neo oogees in like purple chili, or even the Laney Nexus. I bought mine in a A Momentary Lapse of Reason :) brought by lack of faggage. I don't regret it but, I could have made a wiser choice as like the Eden full range 210's is bleedin big and heavy. Mine is an early one, they are better than the newer ones I have heard.

Edited by dan670844