Why become a member? ×

Obscure Vintage Basses

Stroopy121

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1106469' date='Jan 28 2011, 05:18 PM']I've used one of these on a recording session. Nice bass actually. Obviously I wouldn't play it live. Image, y'know :lol:[/quote]
Ah, y' see, that's exactly why I would - and have - played it live! :D The downside's the spine-crushing weight & the fact it tends to squeal like a piggy at any sort of volume. Looks nice on the wall though. :)

Eric - love the Seiwa, remember discussing it a bit when you got it. Interestingly I subsequently got a Washburn SB40 Vulture II, which has the same massive bridge. Whipped it off to give the bass a hose-down & there's the verification of the hardware manufacturer, at least:

[attachment=70307:chushin_...dge_base.jpg]

I must admit I'm cheating a tiny bit with the Talbo - while these originally appeared in about 1984, making them "vintage" enough for this thread, mine's a reissue from about 2000 - and that's only "vintage" on Ebay! :)

Anyway - 1982 Washburn SB40 Vulture II, a bit more obscure than the near-identical Force 40, I suppose...

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1104822' date='Jan 27 2011, 10:39 AM']I've heard they're rubbish Eric, I only want one because the name sounds like a prog concept album... Of course, having two of the things cluttering the place up must be unbearable, I'd be doing my charitable duty by taking one off your hands! :)

Anyway, I approve of the way this thread's heading, and it deserves an unidentified Kasuga through-neck, probably early 80s:

[attachment=70142:kasuga_03.jpg] [attachment=70143:kasuga_11.jpg]

And if anyone spots one of [i]these[/i], in the UK & at a sensible price...

J.[/quote]

A friend of mine in America is selling one of these on Evilbay right now

When I was given the 1978 Phil Lynott Mockingbird, they made me take a 1967 Hagstrom 8, which had been resprayed in Yellow, and 2 Univox pedals (Waa and Volume).
The Hagstrom was a friggin' tone monster, awesome sound from it, I sold it, and the pedals for £200 in 2007

Edited by Lorne

Here's a good link for Watkins/Wilson basses: [url="http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/basses.htm[/url]

I used to own a Wilson Merury bass. 'cept mine had an ivory type finish.

Too much hardware on this W-type, I think.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1296250016' post='1106744']
Ah, y' see, that's exactly why I would - and have - played it live! :P The downside's the spine-crushing weight & the fact it tends to squeal like a piggy at any sort of volume. Looks nice on the wall though. :rolleyes:

Eric - love the Seiwa, remember discussing it a bit when you got it. Interestingly I subsequently got a Washburn SB40 Vulture II, which has the same massive bridge. Whipped it off to give the bass a hose-down & there's the verification of the hardware manufacturer, at least:

[attachment=70307:chushin_...dge_base.jpg]

I must admit I'm cheating a tiny bit with the Talbo - while these originally appeared in about 1984, making them "vintage" enough for this thread, mine's a reissue from about 2000 - and that's only "vintage" on Ebay! :lol:

Anyway - 1982 Washburn SB40 Vulture II, a bit more obscure than the near-identical Force 40, I suppose...

J.
[/quote] Looking at this older post here and noticed this; so to set the record straight, this beautiful bass is a Washburn B-40 (1980-1983). The SB-40's and the Vulture II's are 2 separate and different basses altogether. The Force 40's have the Force series headstock and the SB-40 electrical package--not very identical actually. Here is a listing for you of the Washburn basses from 1980-85 involving "B" series basses (and the others):

[b][size=3]1980:[/size][/b][size=3] [i][b]B-40 Wing Series [/b][/i]with the Vulture II electrical package (4 pots and toggle), B-20 Stage basses begin along with the 8-string B-20-8 Stage bass (Scavenger,Vulture I and II still being sold).

[b]1981[/b]: same models as 1980 along with the new SB-40 (electrical package is 3 pots/toggle/mini-switch and later adopted by all Force 40s and the B-40 EQ/EQW)

[b]1982:[/b] the Wing series SB-40EQ replaces SB-40 but same as the '81 SB-40( with the possible exception that the 40 had brushed aluminum cavity plates and the 40EQ did not as far as I can determine), the [b][i]Wing series B-40[/i][/b], the [b][i]Force-40-headstocked B-40EQW[/i][/b] with SB-40 electrical package, the Force 40EQ (also SB-40 elec pkg except for a very few with the B-40 [/size][size=3][size=3]elec [/size]package), Force 8 and Force 4, the B-20's little brother B-5 Stage bass introduced (Scavenger,Vulture I and II still being sold)

[b]1983:[/b] [b][i]Wing series B-40[/i][/b], [b][i]Force series B-40EQW[/i][/b], the regular Force 40 begins, Force 4's and 8's and B-20's/5's (Vulture I and II still being sold as well)

[b]1984:[/b] Regular Force 40's, introducing B-20 Stage BBR and B-5 Stage BBR and Force 40 BBRs and Force 8 BBR (single pup)--BBR'd completely: body, neck and headstock --only in 1984.[b][i]Last year for the B-40EQW[/i][/b]. Vulture II still in production. (guitars also BBR’d: HM models, Hawk, Tour 24, [/size][size=3][size=3][size=3]Force 6, FV-20V, [/size][/size]A series to include A-20/20V, A-23K, A-20K, A-5V, [/size][size=3] etc)

[b]1985:[/b][i][b] Now we have the Force series B-40EQ[/b][/i], Force 4+8, the B-5 Stage bass...and the only Bass BBR is the Force 8 BBR which is NOT BBR'd on the maple fretboard neck--so its a partial BBR. NO more regular Force 40's or B-20's!(someone please show me a 1985 one and I'll change this, but do not believe so). Several guitars, however, were still BBR’d (HM models, Tour 24, some A series, Force 6)[/size]

[size=3]Boyohboy---hang on to that B-40 if you can. Gorgeous, fantastically well-built in the Matsumoko factory. Quite a bass. What's the serial number? As a vintage Washburn historian, I can be reached at [email protected] [/size]

Edited by MEKer