Why become a member? ×

Amp Advice.

LethalLion

Recently started playing again after about a 2/3 year break. I've never had a 'real' amp, just a small 15w practice one.

I'm looking for something pretty compact, as I don't have a lot of spare room, but something that's going to be able to give me a nice tone, and make me enjoy playing bass. Would I be better off going for a combo or a head and cab?

Any recommendations at all?

EDIT: Budget would probably be around £200ish.

Cheers,
Dan

Edited by LethalLion

[quote name='LethalLion' post='1097675' date='Jan 21 2011, 03:38 PM']Recently started playing again after about a 2/3 year break. I've never had a 'real' amp, just a small 15w practice one.

I'm looking for something pretty compact, as I don't have a lot of spare room, but something that's going to be able to give me a nice tone, and make me enjoy playing bass. Would I be better off going for a combo or a head and cab?

Cheers,
Dan[/quote]

Well even if you look SH I reckon you're seriously going to struggle to find a half decent head [b]and[/b] a cab for that sort of budget.

I guess the thing to consider is the 'future'.
Are you going to want to use it to play along with other muso's at venues in the future or would you be looking to do an upgrade when you get to that point?

[quote name='LethalLion' post='1097675' date='Jan 21 2011, 03:38 PM']Recently started playing again after about a 2/3 year break. I've never had a 'real' amp, just a small 15w practice one.

Cheers,
Dan[/quote]

You could probably pick up a decent secondhand Peavey (TNT 15) or a laney combo laney (RB is a good bet) go for a 15" speaker though cheap 10's dont go very low

[quote name='LethalLion' post='1102214' date='Jan 25 2011, 03:02 PM']Went with the Electric Blue, but when I got it today, realised I don't have a spare kettle lead. Will any old one do, or?[/quote]

Yep.
If it fit's the socket then it'll be fine (there are two types but one has a notch to stop people from doing anything daft!)
Important thing is to make sure it's got the right size fuse in the mains plug end (not sure what it is but it'll be in your manual).

Edited by icastle

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1102267' date='Jan 25 2011, 03:47 PM']Sorry if this sounds silly, do you mean that the the fuse is inside the lead or did i misunderstood the english?[/quote]

Fuse inside the plug (as I understood it :) ). I think normally they are T5A, or 13A does the trick. Best to check the manual though, just to protect the fuses in the amp. Saying that, I used a 13A fuse on the kettle to my old ampeg for years even though a 5 was specified.

EDIT: of course I just realised you're from portugal.... not sure if you're residing there at poresent, which may well change everything!! :)

Edited by Salt on your Bass?