Why become a member? ×

Adding An External Speaker Out To An Ampeg Combo

unimpressed alf

Hi

I have a little(ish) Ampeg B210 combo which sounds lovely but isnt I have to drive it fair hard to get it loud enough and it doesn’t kick out the kind of bottom end that id like. If I get carried away then I start to worry about the two little 10inch speakers in there and if they are coping alright!

The obvious soluition to this (I would have thought) would be to connect up an extra speaker cab to handle the low end. However, the stupid thing about my amp is that it doesn’t have an external speaker output.

I was wondering how feasible it would be to get into the amplifier and modify it to give it an external speaker out. Would it be a case of just tapping off the signal that goes to the current internal speakers or would that be too simple?! Im guessing aswell that I would really need to be careful about the whole parrallel/series thing so as not to overload the amplifier.

Is this just a really bad idea??

Thanks!

It would certainly be fairly easy to add another speaker socket to any combo; the mechanics of it would likely be more fiddly than the electrical wiring. However, the real issue is to understand the minimum speaker impedance for your combo amp.

I found a manual for the BA210SP and it states that the amp is 220W into 4 ohms.

It also states it has 2 x 10-inch speakers, but doesn't give their impedance. My guess is that each speaker is 8 ohms and wired in parallel to give 4ohms, so that the combo already gives the maximum power. Having a look at the internal wiring would confirm this.

If my guess is correct then you won't be able to add another speaker without wiring the existing ones.

What you could do is re-wire the internal speakers so that they are in series. This would give an 8 ohm load. Then add another speaker socket (wired in parallel with the amp output) into which you could then plug an external 8 ohm speaker, giving an overall load of 4 ohms to the amp.

Whether all this will make things sound better is anyone's guess, but it wouldn't be difficult to return the internal speaker wiring to its original state if necessary.

It all depends how handy you are with woodwork and wiring.

Edited by flyfisher

The B210 manual states : "Speaker Specs: (2) 10", 100w, 8 ohm , 2" voice coil dia., 30oz. magnet."

So it's already down to the minimum impedance. I recommend Plan B (not the singer) and change it for something more pokey.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1094911' date='Jan 19 2011, 11:01 AM']What you could do is re-wire the internal speakers so that they are in series. This would give an 8 ohm load. Then add another speaker socket (wired in parallel with the amp output) into which you could then plug an external 8 ohm speaker, giving an overall load of 4 ohms to the amp.[/quote]

How do you work that out then?