Why become a member? ×

Little Giant 1000 With External Pre Amp

willyf87

I've just got hold of a little giant 1000, I am using it with my 4 ohm schroeder 1212l cab. The pre amp stage on the head seems a little weak. How would I go about hooking up an external pre amp if I feel like I need more power, do I just go into the pre amp then straight into the input on the amp or do I have to do it via the effects loop? I haven't actually tried it at rehearsal yet, I have a feeling it will be plenty loud enough as is but just want to know just in case!! The sort of pre-amp i would be looking at is an art tube preamp.

Please move this if it's in the wrong place!!

Edited by willyf87

I used one for a while for rehearsals with a jazz bass, suffered the same problem could not get enough input gain. I solved it by using one of those little ART valve driven mic preamps which can provide up to 20db of gain. I guess you could use any boost pedal suitable for bass to make up the gain. Its a nice sounding preamp but its like they didn't finish of the design properly. An active Yamaha bass that I tried only just managed to drive it into clipping 'flat' But if you can get enough input signal they are quite good. Also they benefit greatly if you use a mains filter.

Ha i didnt read you post properly! stick the Art pre inline i.e plug your bass into it then the Art into the input of the amp at least thats what i did. Best on active and adjust the gain so it doesnt clip

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='willyf87' post='1093501' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:31 AM']I've just got hold of a little giant 1000, I am using it with my 4 ohm schroeder 1212l cab. The pre amp stage on the head seems a little weak. How would I go about hooking up an external pre amp if I feel like I need more power, do I just go into the pre amp then straight into the input on the amp or do I have to do it via the effects loop? I haven't actually tried it at rehearsal yet, I have a feeling it will be plenty loud enough as is but just want to know just in case!![/quote]

You can't totally bypass the pre-amp by using the effects loop but the return socket on your Ashdown will bypass the EQ stage.

I'm not an Ashdown user but many amps I've tried seem to be a bit 'weedy' at low volume levels and don't really start performing as intended until you hit a certain volume threshold.
I wouldn't expect a company like Ashdown to release a product with anything less than a good pre-amp stage, so I strongly suspect that it'll be plenty loud enough once you start using it in anger... :)

[quote name='dan670844' post='1093530' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:49 AM']I used one for a while for rehearsals with a jazz bass, suffered the same problem could not get enough input gain. I solved it by using one of those little ART valve driven mic preamps which can provide up to 20db of gain. I guess you could use any boost pedal suitable for bass to make up the gain. Its a nice sounding preamp but its like they didn't finish of the design properly. An active Yamaha bass that I tried only just managed to drive it into clipping 'flat' But if you can get enough input signal they are quite good. Also they benefit greatly if you use a mains filter.

Ha i didnt read you post properly! stick the Art pre inline i.e plug your bass into it then the Art into the input of the amp at least thats what i did. Best on active and adjust the gain so it doesnt clip[/quote]

I do actually have an ehx lpb-1 booster, I guess I could try that if worst comes to worst.

[quote name='icastle' post='1093536' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:53 AM']You can't totally bypass the pre-amp by using the effects loop but the return socket on your Ashdown will bypass the EQ stage.

I'm not an Ashdown user but many amps I've tried seem to be a bit 'weedy' at low volume levels and don't really start performing as intended until you hit a certain volume threshold.
I wouldn't expect a company like Ashdown to release a product with anything less than a good pre-amp stage, so I strongly suspect that it'll be plenty loud enough once you start using it in anger... :)[/quote]

I'm hoping that's the case!! I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting from the rig as it is, just its no good if it doesn't cut through. I have a feeling everyything will be a-ok!! I'm going to rehearsal tonight so I'll let you guys know.

[quote name='icastle' post='1093536' date='Jan 18 2011, 09:53 AM']You can't totally bypass the pre-amp by using the effects loop but the return socket on your Ashdown will bypass the EQ stage.
(...)[/quote]

If he use a preamp pedal like Tonehammer or Sadowsky he wont need the EQ on the Ash.

Never tried one so i don't know the soul of the beast but (judging by my 9.0) i think it will sound tons much better when cranked up. If i use my GB for home practise without messing with the building's foundations or driving the neighbours crazy the sound is thinner and weak - the GB has two volumes: very low and very high! - but if i crank it up at a reharsal that f***ing thing comes alive! I'll keep using my Boxer15 for home practise.

[quote name='willyf87' post='1093564' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:15 AM']I'm hoping that's the case!! I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting from the rig as it is, just its no good if it doesn't cut through. I have a feeling everyything will be a-ok!! I'm going to rehearsal tonight so I'll let you guys know.[/quote]

The LG1000 has a power amp in so you can connect your external preamp into it no prob and bypass the preamp, but that would be a shame as it sounds quite good if you can feed it enough juice ,just boost your input with a pedal and she will open up nicely, these amps work very well with the superfly cabs, I have a Super 4x80 1000 watt job, together they make an nice mini rig with a lot of volume and a suprising amount of low end. Other thing to note the volume pot is linear and not logarithmic i.e. it will get louder all the way up and not be flat out on '2' like some other amps!

[quote name='willyf87' post='1093561' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:13 AM']I do actually have an ehx lpb-1 booster, I guess I could try that if worst comes to worst.[/quote]

it's an idea, but the lpb-1 isn't a preamp with a flat eq, which is fine if you like the sound it gives.