Why become a member? ×

Tapered Strings. Best Brand?

Mog

Just about to order a few sets of strings for the 5 and 6 string basses. I'm tempted to have another shot at sets with tapered B strings despite a bad experience with Dunlops.

Do any of youz lot prefer tapered sets over standard guages. And which brand are best in your opinion.

The 5 string is top loaded and the 6 string is throughbody.

Just changed from Overwater strings to Elixir on my 6 string.
I had to go for the XL range to get the scale length of which they only do the B string as a taper.
With the overwater strings I found the B a little flat in tone compared to the Elixir which is far more balanced.
As this is the first Elixir set I've used with a taper ball end I'm not sure if the more even response and tone is because its taper or because the set is Elixir.
Its only the low B that is tapered.

Not sure if that helps. ?

From memory though I remember when Rotosound brought out their taper ball ends and they were significantly sharper and vibrant top end. Didn't have a lot of choice in those days so this was a rare novelty. Expensive at that time so went back to normal strings.

Dave

:)

Edited by dmccombe7

XL pro strings are tapered B only and they are ok...

La Bellas super steps are the right configuration but I broke a brand new A string the other day so not impressed.
I need to get a sperate to rescue an expensive set.

DR are the best all round, although they only do tapered on the B UNLESS you get the Long necks which taper all the strings.
I bought a set from a BC-er here and they work as well as DR normally do. Not cheap though.

After a degree of experiment, I am back to using DR and mostly hi beams as they clean up well and often.

Other makes clean up the once and then it gets to be hit and miss and hard work...not to mention the cotton winds get messy