Why become a member? ×

removing the black coating from the neck

gizmo6789

I have a yamaha RBX375, the back of the neck is painted / coated with black paint. ( i think its paint, i dunno) and its chipped in places, the usual wear and tear of a neck.
I was thinking the other day, is it worth my while trying to find the right paint to cover up the damage, or could i make myself a custom neck by stripping the rest of the black coating off?

A few things popped into my mind:

[b]Will this affect the sound of the bass?[/b]

Is playing a wooden ( natural) neck faster than playing a painted/coated one.

just wondered if anyone had ever done this before.

cheers
Gareth

Will it affect the sound? Yes. By about 0.001%. :)

You should be able to sand it back and re-paint it but if the dings are too deep then you'd be as well taking it back to the wood.

Some guys like the lack of effort that paint stripper involves but personally I'm a sander. Paint stripper can be messy and inaccurate but it is quick. If you choose to sand it off you will be accurate but it could take a couple of sittings to get it all off depending on the finish. An orbital sander is fine to get through some top layers but for me nothing beats using a sanding block and some elbow grease.

Once you're done, a couple of coats of clear lacquer or primer and paint and Bob's yer auntie.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1088519' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:59 PM']Will it affect the sound? Yes. By about 0.001%. :)

You should be able to sand it back and re-paint it but if the dings are too deep then you'd be as well taking it back to the wood.

Some guys like the lack of effort that paint stripper involves but personally I'm a sander. Paint stripper can be messy and inaccurate but it is quick. If you choose to sand it off you will be accurate but it could take a couple of sittings to get it all off depending on the finish. An orbital sander is fine to get through some top layers but for me nothing beats using a sanding block and some elbow grease.

Once you're done, a couple of coats of clear lacquer or primer and paint and Bob's yer auntie.[/quote]

If ever i needed an excuse to use the Peter Kay joke about borrowing an orbital sander, this is the moment hahaha. cheers for the tips. This is going to be fun.

"Dear girlfriend, im sorry i cant see u, im sanding my bass" she will be pleased

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1088519' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:59 PM']Will it affect the sound? Yes. By about 0.001%. :)

Once you're done, a couple of coats of clear lacquer or primer and paint and Bob's yer auntie.[/quote]
For a smooth, light finish I'd be inclined to go for an oil finish - there are a few to choose from, my preference is Linseed Oil - check out your local DIY store or: [url="http://www.wood-oil.co.uk/acatalog/wo_index.html"]http://www.wood-oil.co.uk/acatalog/wo_index.html[/url]

Unless you really don't like the finish I'd be tempted to spot repair it e.g. with black nail polish and then buff it up to a shine. Much easier than stripping and refinishing, black isn't a hard colour to match. If the damage hasn't gone through the black paint itself then you can just use superglue, dead easy.

Edited by LawrenceH