Why become a member? ×

Overwater Progress III Deluxe 6 string fretless

clagooey

Evening all,

Almost 3 years ago, I bought a mighty fine Overwater from Alemboid on here which I was more than happy with. However, after around 6 months of ownership there was an unfortunate accident concerning the bass, a family member and a toy car bed which rendered the bass unplayable; to say I was upset is quite an understatement! Nonetheless, the time has finally come for me to get a brand new custom Overwater, similar in most ways to the old one. Chris and Laurence at Overwater have been fantastic, both going over and above to make sure things go to plan; to say I'm excited is a massive understatement!

Specs:

6 string (B-C)
35" Scale
Maple neck
18mm string spacing
Ebony unlined fretless fretboard
Fret markers on 12th fret upwards between G and C strings
American black walnut body
Ziricote top
Standard Overwater 3 band EQ and pickups
Locking jack and XLR out

This won't be a detailed build diary (as I didn't realise how quickly they'd start building it!), but I'll upload photos as and when I get them. The bass was ordered in the first week of December, and should get to me around the first week of February; I definitely wasn't expecting a 2 month build time, especially during Christmas!

Cheers all,

Tom

Edited by clagooey

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. You won't go wrong with Overwater.
Best thing I ever did was buy my 6 string Progress fretless.
Chris, Laurence and Martin were brilliant.
All very approachable, helpful and understanding.
If and when i can afford a fretted one I will be straight back to Chris and the team.

Cannot fault them.

Still loving every minute of it.

Cheers
Dave

[attachment=69925:Lindavid...B_E442C6.jpg]

Edited by dmccombe7

Dave: Yours looks incredible! It looks like we've both asked for similar specs but fairly different woods; I really can't wait to get mine. Hopefully not too long now, however I've no problem with it taking a bit longer than I thought if they're making it as good as it can be.

Truckstop: So do I, and they sound so phenomenal. I used to own a MIM Jazz 5 as well, and I definitely wouldn't mind an Overwater version. If only I had the money...!

Tom

Hi Tom
They completed mine well within schedule.
They will also take the time to make sure you're happy with the set up when completed.
Chris is very fussy to make sure that everything is done to perfection and that's why people keep going back to him.
If there's anything you're not sure about just ask the guys and they'll give you a straight and honest answer.

You won't be disappointed.

All the very best with it when completed.

Dave :)

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1102754' date='Jan 25 2011, 09:05 PM']Hi Tom
They completed mine well within schedule.
They will also take the time to make sure you're happy with the set up when completed.
Chris is very fussy to make sure that everything is done to perfection and that's why people keep going back to him.
If there's anything you're not sure about just ask the guys and they'll give you a straight and honest answer.

You won't be disappointed.

All the very best with it when completed.

Dave :)[/quote]

Cheers Dave! They've been fantastic with me as well, and I have complete faith with them. I'll make sure to put up some decent pictures when it finally arrives :)

Tom

They build these quickly don't they ? I know Sei has something like an 18 month wait time.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is mine. I got it a couple of weeks ago, I have to say it's pretty amazing. If yours is anything like mine then you won't be disappointed. I'm lucky enough to have a few nice basses, but the Overwater is definitely my favourite. The relatively wide string spacing, compared to my Zon, makes for such comfortable playing.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1103034' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:27 AM']They build these quickly don't they ? I know Sei has something like an 18 month wait time.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but this is mine. I got it a couple of weeks ago, I have to say it's pretty amazing. If yours is anything like mine then you won't be disappointed. I'm lucky enough to have a few nice basses, but the Overwater is definitely my favourite. The relatively wide string spacing, compared to my Zon, makes for such comfortable playing.[/quote]

That's a stunning top you have there! What made you go for the individual bridge saddles as opposed to the block bridge, if you don't mind me asking? I know I won't be disappointed; the only bad thing is that all this talking about it is making me want it more. I guess it's not the worst situation in the world to be in though!

Tom

[quote name='clagooey' post='1103044' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:42 AM']That's a stunning top you have there! What made you go for the individual bridge saddles as opposed to the block bridge, if you don't mind me asking? I know I won't be disappointed; the only bad thing is that all this talking about it is making me want it more. I guess it's not the worst situation in the world to be in though!

Tom[/quote]

I actually got it used would you believe ! The original owner ordered it like that, according to Chris, he saw a similar one on the website, and asked for one the same. It does make string changing a doddle.

It's had four owners in 18 months, I'm the fifth. Don't ask me why because I have no idea, it's a fantastic bass.

Even though I've been playing for 20 plus years, I'm actually new to Overwaters. I've seen their basses many times, but never bought one until now. I've really missed out on something !

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='1103358' date='Jan 26 2011, 11:25 AM']I actually got it used would you believe ! The original owner ordered it like that, according to Chris, he saw a similar one on the website, and asked for one the same. It does make string changing a doddle.

It's had four owners in 18 months, I'm the fifth. Don't ask me why because I have no idea, it's a fantastic bass.

Even though I've been playing for 20 plus years, I'm actually new to Overwaters. I've seen their basses many times, but never bought one until now. I've really missed out on something ![/quote]

I'm same and have been playing since late 70's. Remember looking at the Overwater early 80's along with WAL. Decided on the WAL simply because it was more well known at that time. If I had known how good Chris was back then it would have changed my outlook.
Great basses, great guy too.

Very nice bass you have there and hope you keep it a bit longer than previous owners. Every nice bass needs a loving home. !!!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7