Why become a member? ×

G&L USA L2000/ASAT SOLD, pending...

solo4652

Much as I love G&Ls, I don't need 3! So, this needs to go to a good home:

The body is a USA L2000 with the original micro-tilt thingy in the neck pocket. The body is pretty heavy with a deep grain visible through the finish. I’m fairly sure it’s solid swamp ash. The body is in good condition. There are the usual surface scratches but absolutely no major issues at all. On the front, there is an old ding which has been repaired and is barely noticeable – I’ve tried to photograph it and you can just about see it between the rear PUP and the middle switch. The (non-original) neck plate carries the code B000679. My research suggests the date of 1979. As far as I’m aware, the pickups are the original USA MFD pickups. Bridge, tuners, switches and 2 of the 3 knobs are all genuine USA G&L. All the electronics work perfectly and as they should.

The neck is not the original. It is a USA G&L ASAT neck, with the date of October 21st 1997 stamped on it – you can just make this out in one of the photos. Maple neck with rosewood board. 1 or 2 tiny marks right at the top of the headstock, but nothing else at all. I’m quite fussy about marks on the back of the neck, and this neck is completely clear of dings or damage. The rosewood board goes well with the black body, I reckon.

In November 2010 I had the following work done by Philip Porter, professional Guitar Tech. in Stockport:

- The neck pocket was shimmed to raise the action slightly. I believe the ASAT neck is a little thinner front to back than the L2000 neck. When I got the bass, the ASAT neck sat too low in the pocket and the action was too high as a result. All’s well now. The neck is now virtually straight and is set up with a medium action.

- The frets were re-dressed.

- A sticky tone pot was repaired and now works perfectly. I was going to replace it, but I didn’t want to lose the original pot.

- Crackly volume pot cleaned and repaired.

- The pup poles were adjusted to achieve an even output volume across the strings.

- Full setup with new Status Hotwire halfwounds – my favourite strings.

The result is a big, beefy, punchy sound. Wonderfully clear lows and highs. Massive amounts of volume and sustain on tap.

It comes with a good quality padded gigbag.

I'm not looking to make any profit on this. I'm keen to move it on so it gets played. £475 is what it has cost me including all the work to get it set up right. So it's yours for £475 – for an all-USA G&L. Bargain!

By all means come round and try it (Stockport)- you're very welcome. I have a box and so I'm happy to courier it.

Cheers,

Steve

[attachment=68562:012.JPG]
[attachment=68564:013.JPG]
[attachment=68565:014.JPG]
[attachment=68567:016.JPG]
[attachment=68568:018.JPG]
[attachment=68571:022.JPG]
[attachment=68574:015__2_.JPG]

Edited by solo4652

Yep - the Hotwire halfrounds give it a rich, deep tone. Silent strings too - no hiss when you slide your fingers along a string. I use them on all my basses.

I'm afraid I don't know the age of the body. I cannot find a date stamp in the neck pocket anywhere. The neck's clearly stamped, but not the body. The neckplate is clearly not the original 3-bolter so the code on it doesn't really help to date the body. Are there any other clues to the age? - just let me know and I'll report back. It's not in its first flush of youth, and it's obviusly had a fair bit of use. But it's as solid as a rock with nothing other than cosmetic wear that I'm aware of. An absolute belter of a bass - loud, proud and a danger to low-flying aircraft.

Steve

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1087115' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:39 PM']All I can say from here is that it's a post '80s body because of the control plate (or lack there of). The stamp should be in the neck pocket. I wonder if it has been painted over?[/quote]

Thank you - all information gratefully received. When I first got the bass, I took it apart to look for the date stamp in the neck pocket. As far as I can recall, it didn't look like it had been re-finished or anything, but of course it's possible. I thought about having another look but, to be honest, I'm loathe to disturb the shim.

Steve