Why become a member? ×

Custom pickups

untune

Hello everyone

I'm currently doodling up some ideas to save a bass that I bought a year or so ago, since I couldn't sell it I decided to spend yet more on it to get it looking/sounding like I want it.

At the moment it has 2 pickups, precisely like an EB-3 - a big mudbucker near the neck and a mini humbucker near the bridge. Problem is that the pole spacings are too narrow, meaning the outer 2 strings are much quieter. This might also be made worse by the fact that the bridge is non standard 85mm wide, but that's not massively important. I measured the string spacings where the pickups are and it seems they're perfectly spaced for a set of Jazz style single coils.

So I was settled on that. But.... the thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the single coil tone, I prefer a deep, low tone more akin to a precision, along with the hum cancelling capability. However, the location of the pickups would mean that the neck jazz would be much closer to the neck than in a regular jazz. Has anybody heard this configuration (2x jazz pickups spaced wide apart) before, who could comment on the tone?

I really wanted to get a pair of Wizards but I'm not sure if the sound would be right. I really like the look of pickups on old cheapo 70s basses, especially those from the Ukraine, Germany ect. Kavkaz, Jolana, Klira, all those. Things that are a mix of chrome and black! I can't seem to find ANYTHING beyond jazz, precision, MM and standard soapbars. Plus I don't see much point spending loads on this one anyway, so was looking in the £70-£80 region.

I've got a Kent Armstrong precision in my Ibanez that I like a lot, but after looking at the prices, it seems worth getting something handwound from Wizard since he gets such good reviews!

Anybody got any advice?

Cheers :)

Have you tried emailing Andy at wizard? I found him to be very helpful when I was trying to figure out if 64s or 84s would be better for my VMJ...I'd say your best bet is to email him, tell him the sound you're after, tell him the string spacing issue etc, the worse he can do is say he can't do it, which I doubt! I can't reccommend wizard pups enough, they've made my squire sound better than any USA jazz I've ever played! (Perhaps I've only played the duds?) It might cost you a little bit extra, I'm not sure as I only ordered 'stock' pickups...But I've no doubt that it'd be 100% worth the extra expense!

At the end of the day, it can't hurt to ask! Good luck with the pup hunt :)

Cheers for that info! I was thinking of dropping him an email but didn't want to be wasting his time if I end up not pursuing the idea...

I'm fully expecting a bashing for wanting to upgrade this particular bass but nobody wants to buy it so I'd like to at least make it more playable, if I'm going to keep it. Was going to try and flog some of the parts like the pups, control plate, hardware, etc... was hoping to swap the neck at some point too.

Left is the original, right is the proposed photoshop based change of design... been procrastinating a lot, I've got a report due on Tuesday :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1083349' date='Jan 9 2011, 05:41 PM']I think it will be a great project.
Of course you won't be getting much definition from the neck pup (perfect for dub) but mixed with the bridge pup it should be fine.[/quote]

Cheers!

Since it's an Alden I assume most people will be telling me it's not worth the hassle etc etc but it feels solid and is just let down by the pickup problem. I'd also like to swap the neck because it's glossy and I prefer something... not glossy :) Plus I'm not a big fan of the headstock anymore, I was looking at Dr Parts necks. The one that's on it is a 20 fret with no overhang of the fretboard, which is the same as those I believe. I've heard they can be a bit hit and miss, but I read some reviews of another place (I forget which) that was doing necks for around £170 and the quality was just as hit and miss.

Re: the tone, yeah I was thinking the same, which wouldn't be so bad for me as like I said, I prefer it a bit deeper and less defined. But in order to cut the noise out they'd need to be at the same volume, so I was leaning towards maybe just one custom humbucker in the neck position. BUT! Since my Ibanez is a PJ, lately I've found myself resting my thumb on the jazz pickup near the neck, as the little bit of extra tension near the bridge makes things comfier (I only play with my fingers, pretty much) so it's all in the air now :) I think something that looks like a Dark Star would suit it, but perhaps a bit slimmer...

If the neck that's on there is a good one then why not just rub it back and re-finish it in satin lacquer and re-shape the Batman headstock - it looks like there's enough wood there to carve a decent Shuker style headstock. It could save a lot of hassle. Besides god knows what neck pocket dimensions Mr Alden uses but I doubt it will be exactly Fender size.

I've used 2 Dr Parts necks in the past. One was very good and the other needed a complete overhaul to be acceptable. The second one put me off the brand probably forever now. Squier necks can be picked up for £30-50 and are usually quite good for donor necks.

Don't be put off about customising an "lowly" Alden. For a real "silk purse out of a sows ear" story click [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50107&hl=encore"]here[/url]. Tell me it wasn't worth the hassle. :)

That's an idea I didn't actually consider... I just thought about selling it on and getting something like a mighty mite, with it's solid reliable canadian maple :) Haha

The headstock on your '51 Shuker is special indeed... I've gotyet more ideas swimming around in my head now!

My fave headstock shape ever is a peavey unity series I believe... Can get *close* with the alden but it'd be a bit too thin. Either way I could make something I'm happy with!

That project of yours is really impressive... can't believe it looks so good! And I be the feeling of satisfaction beats buying from a shop eh? Haha

You don't even need to refinish it, just rub the neck down with 1200 grade wet and dry. I've done it on my sunburst spector and it works well. Its always possible to spray clear coat gloss back over it if you want to sell.

[quote name='untune' post='1083706' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:30 PM']That's an idea I didn't actually consider... I just thought about selling it on and getting something like a mighty mite, with it's solid reliable canadian maple :lol: Haha[/quote]:)

[quote name='untune' post='1083706' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:30 PM']The headstock on your '51 Shuker is special indeed... I've gotyet more ideas swimming around in my head now!

My fave headstock shape ever is a peavey unity series I believe... Can get *close* with the alden but it'd be a bit too thin. Either way I could make something I'm happy with![/quote]
Cheers.
I was actually thinking of this style headstock from the material you have to work with there...

[quote name='untune' post='1083706' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:30 PM']That project of yours is really impressive... can't believe it looks so good! And I be the feeling of satisfaction beats buying from a shop eh? Haha[/quote]
You betcha. I'm currently making "the G&L they never made" - what a buzz. :)

I've got a few designs in my head! I do really like that one though... I'll come up with something given ample time to draw all the possibilities :)

Oh and one other thing I've been thinking of.... the body, just like the neck, is finished in a pretty thick lacquer that makes it look pristine and picks up every fingermark imaginable in the right light. I'm not a fan of the 'glossy' look as you might tell, and would rather dull it down a bit more like this (forgive me, its a guitar I know but its the best example since its roughly the same colour and has the binding!)

[url="http://www.themusiczoo.com/features/gibson_slash.jpg"]Slash Les Paul[/url]

Is there a good way to achieve it without ruining it completely?

Cheers

Edited by untune

May have solved the pickup cover conundrum... but can anybody tell me if it's possible to shorten the length of a jazz pickup bobbin after it has been wound? I have sorted some pup covers out but the bridge bobbin might literally be about 1.5mm too long on each side. I know the solder points can be quite close to the edge, is it technically do-able though? Or would they havce to be modified BEFORE winding?

I think there would be just enough for you to trim a mill and a half off each end - best thing would be to have a look though. :)

Here's wee a tip for you before you start getting too hands on, trim and wrap some tape around the windings (I use masking - for that vintage look :)) so you don't feck them up at all in the handling process.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1089621' date='Jan 14 2011, 06:10 PM']I think there would be just enough for you to trim a mill and a half off each end - best thing would be to have a look though. :)

Here's wee a tip for you before you start getting too hands on, trim and wrap some tape around the windings (I use masking - for that vintage look :)) so you don't feck them up at all in the handling process.[/quote]

Duly noted, thanks :lol:

One of my mates has an old Stagg bass that I can nick the pups out of to play about with and make sure everything works so everything should be fine. Only thing is, the real concern about the bobbin being too big is on the bridge pup (obviously as its wider) but on his bass the bridge is one of those chunky dual jazz humbuckers... when I gut it maybe I can just pull the whole thing apart :D