Why become a member? ×

New all valve bass head in R&D

Born 2B Mild

Arrgh as usual I didn't read the post properly, this amp isnt for me then!

But if I had to choose an all valve design for live work it would be

200watt output KT88
output transformer that is as linear as possible
Baxandall Tone Stack with frequencies set appropiate for bass then you have some hope of controlling the mid range and cutting your bass boom if required, maybe the treble is set at 1-2.6khz to control harmonics, Bright pot? 5khz to control attack dynamics!!!!
Mid shift circuit to pull the q down at around 400hz
self biasing a must a push switch bias would be great
Tone stack bypass just for me............
adequate cab ventilation
100 year warranty
Free exchange output valve service
And a sensible plate voltage so not right of the edge of oblivion to assist with reliability
An automatic NO!! sensor when someone tries to move it when the tubes are still hot
A decent instruction manual which informs the purchaser how to look after it, and not assume anything as most people who now use this stuff were not born when valve equipment was the primary amplifier equipment for bass

Edited by dan670844

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on this? Was fiddling about with my Burman, and thinking, the option of plugging in before or after a gain stage is kind of cool, as is the three gain knobs, so you can control the gain at various stages of the preamp. Keeps it all valve, but will make the knob twiddlers happy. Probably bit much for bass amp purposes though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1100374' date='Jan 24 2011, 03:57 AM']Any news on this? Was fiddling about with my Burman, and thinking, the option of plugging in before or after a gain stage is kind of cool, as is the three gain knobs, so you can control the gain at various stages of the preamp. Keeps it all valve, but will make the knob twiddlers happy. Probably bit much for bass amp purposes though.[/quote]
Had a long meeting with the amp makers last week. We all agree that it's got be good/innovative to appeal to the discerning user. The blank sheet we have started with has now become a wish list of specs that has been influenced by many of the posts on this thread. So the next phase involves seeing how these ideas can be made in to reality via design and/or parts sourcing.

When things get more actual than theoretical I'll be able to report further.

Thanks,

Phil

• 3 months later...

Where is this project now? Here are the couple of important points from the thread for me

Low noise design
Thermostatic fan
High impedance input
Two parametric eq

Also I have seen guitar amps with two power output settings, this coulb be a neat option for studio vs live uses

My two cents

Pa