Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V4-B ("Classic") vs Trace Elliot MK IV AH250

Count Bassie

I'm getting my Trace AH250GP-11 head, I believe it's a Mark IV, out of the shop next week. I've run into an Ampeg V4-B, a 'Classic' version, for $400 US, and I'd like to score it. I can only do it if I lose the Trace head... I have an SMX which I use regularly for all my gigs, and like it quite a lot. Sound-people who do our FOH tend to be pretty enthusiastic about it, but I realize it's a different animal than the older Trace head.

I also realize the older one is kind of a vintage piece, as it were, and it's still a solid, serviceable amp. But, the prospect of nailing an all-tube Ampeg is too much, and I have to at least look into it.

Any thoughts on this? Should I really keep the Trace, or maybe hold out and use proceeds from a sale for an SVT? Is the Trace head worth that much?

Or am I simply a fool?...

Well I used to have a 'Blue-Line' SVT years ago, and I realize, from that blurry guide for comparison, that there will be a difference. I also had a Sunn 300T that was pretty hi-fi compared to the SVT... but yeah I know it's a different animal. Thanks for the reality check though!

Edited by Count Bassie

Don't know if it helps but I have an early 70's V4-B and I love the valve tone it produces. That said you need a big cab to get the best from it, its very grindy even at half volume.

Its huge and it weighs a tonne! Certainly not the most practical amp ever.

As for the Trace, Its a very different animal - if you like the sound of it keep it.

[quote name='NoirBass' post='1081483' date='Jan 7 2011, 03:16 PM']Don't know if it helps but I have an early 70's V4-B and I love the valve tone it produces. That said you need a big cab to get the best from it, its very grindy even at half volume.

Its huge and it weighs a tonne! Certainly not the most practical amp ever.

As for the Trace, Its a very different animal - if you like the sound of it keep it.[/quote]

Well it comes back this week, and although I did get to play it some before the shop visit I'll be curious to plug it in again. I've foregone the V4-B, I'm really not having an issue with anything gear-oriented. Just like my old Ampeg sound! But I'm resigned to waiting... I use the SMX head quite a lot, and I'm presuming this will be a fine backup, maybe even a solid head for regular use.

I am interested in finding out more about this head though. I don't find much on this generation, in fact it's difficult to find any very complete thread of information on the line anywhere. Sources seem to have become a diaspora of links once-involved with the Trace Elliot family tree, and it's no help that the name has passed through several sets of hands.

To anyone who's got first-hand or otherwise reliable info on this particular amp, and its immediate relatives, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks.

The Trace vs Ampeg thing is a mather of personal taste. Both makes are very good (the old models at least). I always prefered Trace's tone over any Ampeg but that's just what my ears tell me. If you're happy with your Trace i don't think you should change. You two great heads there - never tried the GP11 series myself but i recon they were made in the time [i]all[/i] Trace gear was great.
From your sig i see you only use 15's, you should try and get your hands on a 1048H cab. Fantastic earth shaking sound! A real powerhouse that'll complement your 15. Of course you'll need to start renting a crane to get it on stage in each gig though...