Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jaydee supernatural

I have been offered a jaydee supernatural, don't know too much about it yet except it's one of the larger bodied models.
The thing is it's in bits and has had the finish has been stripped off ( the previous owner had removed the lovely cherry finish). SO what sort of region should i be aiming for if everything is there and sound. I think i should be able to get it for under £500, how much under i don't know yet. The other thing i have to consider is the cost of refinishing ideally i would want a proper job done to original standards.

So what is the general consensus ?

If its a series 1 Large body then complete ones go for between £1000-1500
If it is a series 2 or 3 smaller body funk groove type models £750-1000.
Easy way to tell the diff is
Series 1,s approx 20 1/2" at the widest point, no funk groove and the truss rod cover should say "supernatural" only not "Mark King Model"

If you take it to JD you will be probably looking towards a grand for a refin relaquer hardwear etc.

Series 1 JD,s are the most sought after ones.
Best of luck.
Regards,Mark

You could try and contact John directly and see what he knows about the instrument, also if you have the serial no you can try looking it up on the web site. I have found Johns prices for refinishing very reasonable.

[url="http://www.jaydeeguitars.com"]http://www.jaydeeguitars.com[/url]

Pete

just post a photo if you can along with a serial number.

John will create any Series bass with any features for anyone with the money, so it doesn't necessarily hold that all Series 1 basses are automatically desirable. Prices also fluctuate wildly, sometimes ebay bidding can get out of control for a specific bass. I once saw a hideous refinished neon pink Jaydee with pink neck LED's go for £1300 on Ebay a couple of years ago.

Also the Roadies can function and look identical to Supernaturals (even to having 2 pickups and active 3 band eq) except for having a black headstock but they lack the kudos of a MK model.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='123571' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:48 PM']just post a photo if you can along with a serial number.

John will create any Series bass with any features for anyone with the money, so it doesn't necessarily hold that all Series 1 basses are automatically desirable. Prices also fluctuate wildly, sometimes ebay bidding can get out of control for a specific bass. I once saw a hideous refinished neon pink Jaydee with pink neck LED's go for £1300 on Ebay a couple of years ago.

Also the Roadies can function and look identical to Supernaturals (even to having 2 pickups and active 3 band eq) except for having a black headstock but they lack the kudos of a MK model.[/quote]

Cheers , i did notice a roadie fret less going for £400. Thats why i am posting here before i buy anything, i have to admit it's potentially exciting but i don't want to get carried away and spend too much on a bass that needs big money spent on it to restore. I will post some pics when the seller gets back to me, think i am getting restoration fever and may have to saved. :)

Any recommendations on re finishers in the oxfordshire area who could do a quality job?

• 10 months later...