Why become a member? ×

Music Man Stingray 1988 Transition Era ON HOLD

Macko1968

Well I’ve over indulged so it’s time to move this amazing bass on.

This is a Stingray from the highly desirable “transition” era when Ernie Ball had taken over the company but before he began “improving” the Stingray. All the cool pre-EB features are here; mutes, 4 bolt neck, bullet truss rod, metal battery plate, original logo tuners & skunk striped necked.

Condition is astonishing, no paint missing, just the odd (pin-head sized) impressions in the lacquer. Frets are almost new, truss rod works smoothly in both directions, weighs in at 9lbs. This bass has been babied all its life & sounds incredible.

Price is £850, firm. That may seem a lot given the price of other ’rays on the forum but these transition ‘rays are hard to come by & you won’t find a cleaner example. As the number of unmolested pre-EB basses dwindle the transition era basses are starting to attract collectors attention.

I’m based on Teesside, local try out is more than welcome. If you want the bass shipped though please would you organise your own courier. I’m more than happy to pack the bass but the choice of couriers locally is limited to say the least.

Sorry, no interest in trades – I need the coin!

[attachment=67736:DSC00740.JPG]
[attachment=67737:DSC00741.JPG]
[attachment=67738:DSC00743.JPG]
[attachment=67739:DSC00744.JPG]
[attachment=67740:DSC00743.JPG]

Edited by Macko1968

Very nice, There has already been a lot of talk about this era of MM being good value for money. Its basically the same as my pre EB but with a body contour which really has all the best features of every model they ever made IMO. Really nice bass good luck :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

If we are being super anal most MM geeks would call a true transition model one built from old none EB parts and still no mention of EB but dated after the takeover. An 85 without EB logo for example and slab bodied would count as a transition and there is talk that they were put together by another company for EB but that could be rubbish? I really love the late 80's ones though and hope to add one to my collection one day, beautiful necks!