Why become a member? ×

Status Streamline 4

Sean

I've recently got myself in a position with work where I'm going to need a portable bass. I've tried the Hohner but didn't get on with it; it hangs weirdly and wants to turn away from you :) - if you've played one you'll understand. The Streamline looks to have the geometry of a normal instrument and being a Status will be a top quality piece of kit for gigging and general duties.

Does anyone have a Status Streamline I could try without having to take a day off and drive a 450 mile round trip to try one in Essex?

I've had a quote from Status for a single MM version - currently on 16 weeks delivery, which seems pretty fast to me.

Edited by Sean

You could have a go on mine Sean but I think I'm a bit too far for you (Sheffield).

Regarding the balance - it's by far the best bass I've played in that respect, it just eats 2hour sets. The neck pretty much stays in the position you put it in - particularly so if you use both bottom strap pins. Soundwise - well it sounds like a Status, the reduced size doesn't seem to make any discerable difference to my ears anyway; however it doesn't have the clarity/glassiness of an S2 (Rich - OTPJ could wax lyrical here) due to the electronics which to me endears it because it's slightly less 'hi-fi'.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1076492' date='Jan 3 2011, 05:13 PM']You could have a go on mine Sean but I think I'm a bit too far for you (Sheffield).

Regarding the balance - it's by far the best bass I've played in that respect, it just eats 2hour sets. The neck pretty much stays in the position you put it in - particularly so if you use both bottom strap pins. Soundwise - well it sounds like a Status, the reduced size doesn't seem to make any discerable difference to my ears anyway; however it doesn't have the clarity/glassiness of an S2 (Rich - OTPJ could wax lyrical here) due to the electronics which to me endears it because it's slightly less 'hi-fi'.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer but you're right, Sheff's about the same distance give or take.

Am I right in guessing that the electronics are much simpler? It certainly looks that way compared to the S2 which has a lot of switches. I'll probably order one anyway by the end of this month just going on reviews and reputation alone but I just wanted to check it out. I want to keep it simple anyway, just a single MM pup and two band EQ and a more trad sound would probably be preferable.

Am I right in thinking that these can be "carry on" luggage in their gig bag? As "carry on" I mean flying Premium Economy or Business Class BA out of say T5 rather than my regular dreadful Ryan Air trips to Poitier overnight where I just wouldn't bother taking anything other than bare essential overnight kit.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='1076514' date='Jan 3 2011, 05:27 PM']Thanks for the offer but you're right, Sheff's about the same distance give or take.

Am I right in guessing that the electronics are much simpler? It certainly looks that way compared to the S2 which has a lot of switches. I'll probably order one anyway by the end of this month just going on reviews and reputation alone but I just wanted to check it out. I want to keep it simple anyway, just a single MM pup and two band EQ and a more trad sound would probably be preferable.

Am I right in thinking that these can be "carry on" luggage in their gig bag? As "carry on" I mean flying Premium Economy or Business Class BA out of say T5 rather than my regular dreadful Ryan Air trips to Poitier overnight where I just wouldn't bother taking anything other than bare essential overnight kit.[/quote]

Not tried to do it Sean but it looks to me that it would easily go in the overhead locker. Alternatively it would fit between your legs - even on Ryanair!
Think I'd invest in a decent semi-rigid or flight case if I was doing this often though, the Ritter gig bag is good (check with Rob wether Ritter are still the supplier) but if someone slammed a heavy flight case on top of it.......

It's my understanding that due to the size of the bass the 2 band Status pre is used because it's the only one that would fit. No loss though, plenty of bass and treble possibilities. Mines an early model (number 6 off the line) with Vol, Blend and stacked bass/treble eq - a little different from the current 4 knob model but works the same way. One thing I would suggest though - I'd have a think about the pup config, I find having 2 pups with the blend gives good tonal manipulation. Not sure how the single MM works in this respect, tho IIRC there was a guy from the U.S who commented on his on Statii.com a while back - might be worth checking up.

I wouldn't worry too much about ordering blind, if you like the Status sound you pretty much know what you're getting (in standard 2 soapbar config)

I, too, am too far away (Essex).
I have #40. Stacked Bass & Treble. I had a pair of series/parallel switches fitted to mine, which make it even more versatile.
They are a very good instrument, light, well balanced, fast, compact and easy to play. There's nothing not to like unless you're a dyed-in-the-wool traditionalist..

Yes, they're fab. One of my preamps died on the panto, so I'm using my Streamline at the moment. There's nothing quite like it. The only downside I can think of is that you have to play on a strap, even sitting down. But it's no loss when you've got such an amazing instrument to play. The sound (as others have mentioned) is less hifi than an S2, but still has that 3d edge and, graphite growl and amazing sustain. It's a great all round bass and yes, they do fit in most overhead lockers. That was part of the design brief.

I'm a little further away again from Mart, in North East Lincolnshire, but I'm sure you'll find someone closer - Then again, a trip to the factory is always a great day out. Rob & Dawn are always very accommodating and it's not unlike visiting the best toyshop ever :)

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='1077064' date='Jan 4 2011, 09:54 AM']Then again, a trip to the factory is always a great day out. Rob & Dawn are always very accommodating and it's not unlike visiting the best toyshop ever :)[/quote]

It certainly sounds tempting, Rich but I haven't got time off until February. I'm now starting to think about having the extra string too. I'm pretty sold on a single MM though :)

[quote name='G-77' post='1078002' date='Jan 4 2011, 10:18 PM']Im in West London if that any help, I know one of our member over on Statii has a streamline 5 in Newport if thats any help.

Happy Jack order a Streamline within 48hrs of having a go on mine!!![/quote]

Newport?! Crackin'! That'd be tidy for me, more or less going home ;-)

Who's that?