Why become a member? ×

Lexicon MX200

dmccombe7

Merry Xmas to everyone.
Maybe its a bit sad that I'm posting this on Xmas day but its a quiet time between opening presents and starting dinner so thought I would take the chance now while still sober.

I'm looking at using the Lexicon MX200 for bass.
Has anyone used it and if so how does it rate as an effects unit.
I have the Roland GT-6B at present and its ok but a bit too many parameters for my liking and the manuals a novel in itself.
Guess I'm just a bit too lazy to read it end to end although I did try but lost the will to live after first few sections.

Any advice would be helpful.

Dave

[quote name='Alun' post='1069376' date='Dec 25 2010, 10:45 PM']Isn't the Lexicon purely a reverb unit as opposed to a multi-FX like the GT6B? Lexicon reverbs are generally fantastic, although haven't tried that particular one on bass.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Thanks Alun,
MX200 is a dual channel multi-effects rack unit which to my little knowledge has delay, reverb, chorus etc with ability to combine 1 or 2 effects. I haven't actually used one yet although I have bought it on ebay and waiting on Parcelforce sorting out their delivery issues.

I don't think it has the same capabilities as a GT6B but i feel that is the problem with the GT6B - its over complicated for what it does. Don't get me wrong it is a great piece of kit if you want or have the time to study the book and get it right.

Appreciate the feedback
Dave

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1069444' date='Dec 26 2010, 04:08 AM']I use an MPXG2 and its superb. The MX200 uses the same engine. You can't go wrong if you are looking for a hifi response.[/quote]

I guess I'm looking for something a little different that will give my fretless that added boost and a little more creativity without the complex parameter changes for every effects choice like the Roland. To make changes on the GT6B isn't the easiest of things to do especially live.
From what I have read it should be a superior quality to the Roland and hopefully a lot easier to operate.

cheers
Dave

The biggest issue for rack based effects is the user interface. Lots of scrolling through screens and you need to have an idea in your own mind about how the screens are all linked. This can take a while and some patience to learn. Also, it can give you too many options, which again can be confusing. Also you need to pre-programme every song before you get to the gig although the MPXG2 and the TC Electronics G Major (amongst others) do give you the option of switching individual effects in and out within a patch on the fly using the dedicated remote foot controller. So you can use a patch either for a single sound and switch between patches or you can programme it as an effects pedal bank, depending on how much tap dancing you feel like doing.

The other thing worth noting is that some of these units (like the MPXG2) can run out of processing power if you are using a number of intense effects together (like, for example, an Akai Unibass type effect with added delays on the shifted part of the signal). To get more processing power, the other option is to use a laptop along with a package like Native Instruments Guitar Rig Kontrol. I've done some insanely complicated set ups with wet and dry splits and then a pitch shifted split on the wet side with phaser, delay, overdrive, and some of the whackier envelope filters. Much more than the MPXG2 could have ever achieved. However you do need to have a hardware profile or even a separate version of windows that is stripped of everything apart from the Guitar rig software. The last thing you need is for a Norton Antivirus notification sound to go out over the PA in the middle of an intense rock ballad.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1070643' date='Dec 27 2010, 11:32 PM']The biggest issue for rack based effects is the user interface. Lots of scrolling through screens and you need to have an idea in your own mind about how the screens are all linked. This can take a while and some patience to learn. Also, it can give you too many options, which again can be confusing. Also you need to pre-programme every song before you get to the gig although the MPXG2 and the TC Electronics G Major (amongst others) do give you the option of switching individual effects in and out within a patch on the fly using the dedicated remote foot controller. So you can use a patch either for a single sound and switch between patches or you can programme it as an effects pedal bank, depending on how much tap dancing you feel like doing.

The other thing worth noting is that some of these units (like the MPXG2) can run out of processing power if you are using a number of intense effects together (like, for example, an Akai Unibass type effect with added delays on the shifted part of the signal). To get more processing power, the other option is to use a laptop along with a package like Native Instruments Guitar Rig Kontrol. I've done some insanely complicated set ups with wet and dry splits and then a pitch shifted split on the wet side with phaser, delay, overdrive, and some of the whackier envelope filters. Much more than the MPXG2 could have ever achieved. However you do need to have a hardware profile or even a separate version of windows that is stripped of everything apart from the Guitar rig software. The last thing you need is for a Norton Antivirus notification sound to go out over the PA in the middle of an intense rock ballad.[/quote]

Hi Crazykiwi,
Think the laptop idea is a bit too intense for me although I wouldn't mind trying at home. Sounds as though its time consuming which is something I never seem to have enough off these days.
I'm mainly looking for a good quality reverb / delay effect to add some depth to the fretless. Roland is ok but thought the Lex would have better sound quality.
The MX200 doesn't appear to have a complex parameter set up from what I've read and for that reason thought it would be easier to use.
If you have any samples of your own experiences with MPXG2 or laptop set up I would be keen to hear. Sounds as though you've got a firm hand on this kind of gear.

Thanks
Dave