Why become a member? ×

Cubase alternatives

Deep Thought

Having just acquired a used Zoom H4, I currently don't have the serial number for the Cubase LE that comes with it. A quick trawl through the forum reveals a general consensus that it's not much cop anyway. What else are people using? I've got Guitar Tracks Pro which I've struggled with, and will probably have a go at Audacity. I'm not looking for millions of features, I just want to be able to get what I record onto CD with the minimum of fuss, mainly songwriting ideas that I can pass on to the drummer and guitarist for them to learn. Any other suggestions?

I use Ableton Live, I believe a new version has just come out. Cubase SX was just a bit too complicated for me, I think it's aimed more at pro-users. I found Ableton just a bit easier to find my way around - and you want to get stuff recorded, not sit there for hours on end navigating around a bloody PDF manual. :) For Cubase money, Steinberg should really be shipping printed manuals.

We've just got one of these at work, you can use it like an external drive, so if you drag the wav file on to your desk top it should work with most good DAW software.

Ableton live is great for creating live loops ect, but Cubase is a better all rounder.

I've also used the h4 files on both Protools and Logic 8 (which is fantastic, so much better than prev versions).

BTW I think the H4 would be a must have peice of gear if you could use the internal stereo mic + the 2 line inputs at the same time to record to 4 tracks, imagine what you could do at live gigs!

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='121821' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:09 PM']probably have a go at Audacity.[/quote]
I would recommend having a go with Audacity too. It's a great piece of software, which is relatively easy to use.
[url="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"]http://audacity.sourceforge.net/[/url]

I may still find it, just waiting for my van to come back from the work shop as it may be in there. PM me if you want to return the H4 for a refund if i can't find the serial.
If you don't want to do any editing you could record at CD quality and just burn that direct, the other thing i have done is to convert it to mp3 in the H4 and Email the files over to my drummer.

[quote name='OldG' post='121921' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:53 AM'][url="http://reaper.fm/index.php"]Reaper[/url] is just fantastic value.... works on nearly any computer and really intuative with VST/DX and midi support.

Best you'll get for $40 (it'll still run if you don't register)[/quote]

A must really..... :)

Garry