Why become a member? ×

Steve Bailey Fender VI

N64Lover

I've tried one, and i liked it, which is odd considering i don't like Active basses a huge amount of Jazz basses!

It was the first Asymetrical neck i've played which i found wierd but thats a personal thing!

It doesn't have an Active/Passive switch, and if you ran it passive it may be a bit of a waste of the 18V of electronics,

you could put one in which would be easy if you swapped the pre-amp, but then how much of the almost £2000 has fender put on those electronics?
You could get a passive J 6 built?

Sorry if that has made things worse :)

I've always been interested in these basses, but they do come with a hefty price tag. I still want to hear one being given a fair play. Steve is amazing but he always plays so near the neck with so many harmonics (a style which is his own, in fairness) but it's not something that will appeal to the vast majority of fretless players. I'd like to see it given some Jaco style fingerstyle over the bridge pickup to see if it will burp and growl like a jazz should.

I've seen SB playing live recently both as solo and a 'house band' member - felt like he could get pretty much any sound he wanted from it.

When he was laying back to let others solo over the top of him he really had a great groove going and held the bottom down really well :)