Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT CL just died. Help?

WonderHorse

So I've had it in my possession for nearly a month now. I've not used it for a week or so because I've been fairly busy.

Plugged everything in, pressed the power switch and left it to warm for a few minutes as always. Then when I pressed the standby switch there was a little flash of light that came out the back and it switched off. Now it won't work.

I can't smell anything burning or owt - this is my first valve amp so I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1062621' date='Dec 18 2010, 04:29 PM']Something burnt, probably the inside of a fuse, that won't smell, but will light up real good. Not only must you replace the fuse, but figure why it went in the firstplace.[/quote]

Yep, look for the obvious before you start assuming it's terminal/expensive.

When you check the fuse, ensure that the one that you take out (if it is that) is the correct rating; I'd assume that Ampeg would have FAQ's section on their site or someone on BC/TB may be able to help. Don't always assume a previous owner would fit the correct one. :)

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='1062618' date='Dec 18 2010, 07:22 PM']I can't smell anything burning or owt - this is my first valve amp so I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be.[/quote]It's most probably a fuse. There is one fuse in the back of the amp; I think it's 6.3A (Slow-blow type). Often people use fast fuses which is not correct (and usually this causes problems like you have now). If it's not this fuse, there is another fuse inside the amp. I don't remember the exact value but it's something like 2A (also slow-blow type). To get to the inside fuse you need a screw-driver.

Mark