Why become a member? ×

Candy Apple Red Fender Precision Bass 1966

Hi All,

Up for sale is my 100% original CAR '66 p-bass, plus slightly later period Fender 'tail' case ('67 - '71 era).

Serial number 121618, pots date to '66, neck stamp Feb '66. Weighs in at 8.8lb.

Looking for £3,750 or trades with cash either way as appropriate.

Checking and dings as you'd expect from a bass this age. Frets and neck in great shape.

Cheers, Si

Edited by 353203

Thanks Happy Jack. No, its not a refin - 100% original.

My main interest is in vintage Fender basses and guitars but also collect and play Rickenbacker, Gretsch and Gibson.

To be really honest, I'm not into 5 string basses or fretless.

All the best, Si

People buy with confidence, Simon is a top man and really knows his stuff when it comes to Fenders.

This morning I had a chance to see this '66 Precision at his place and...oh my god, it's a trully beautiful bass!
If I had the monies I would have walked out with this one instead of the '75 P bass.

Good luck with the sale Simon.

Hi Jay,
I've seen plenty of this type of lettering in Fender neck pockets over the years - most likely done by a Fender employee - possibly his initials, possibly to id a special order, possibly a goodbye message.
I'll need to re-check to see if there's any lacquer over it to see if so, or whether maybe a previous owner did it for security / identification.
Fender employees were well known for scrawling stuff in neck pockets and on neck butts (other than the usual dates and sigs) - the most famous of which was obviously the 'rude' message an employee etched which led to a period during the first half of '59 when all pencil marks were banned by Leo himself, as a customer complained about it.
Cheers, Si

Edited by 353203

Thanks Si, interesting stuff I've got a few 70's Jazzes and a 70's strat and they all have signatures in the pocket but nothing like this. It's lovely, would like more info on the finish - what's the undercoat? i can see white but I know some were gold, some were silver?

I will keep an eye on this one if noone takes it give me a PM after christmas and I'll come and have a look?

James

Hi James, its your classic white primer undercoat, widely used in the 60s. I've had quite a bit of interest and expect it to go this week but will contact you if not. You'd be very welcome to come and have a look.

Cheers, Si

[quote name='jay249' post='1062863' date='Dec 18 2010, 07:56 PM']Thanks Si, interesting stuff I've got a few 70's Jazzes and a 70's strat and they all have signatures in the pocket but nothing like this. It's lovely, would like more info on the finish - what's the undercoat? i can see white but I know some were gold, some were silver?

I will keep an eye on this one if noone takes it give me a PM after christmas and I'll come and have a look?

James[/quote]

I've got the Jazz Bass brother to this beauty. The undercoat is silver sparkle, they moved to gold later on. It's a beautiful bass, the 66 ones are widely considered to be beautiful playing instruments - the equivalent of pre-CBS ones in my eyes.

Seems a full price but what do I know? How much is my 66 worth now? The mind boggles.