Why become a member? ×

Status foam problem

Conan

Hi all (and particularly the Status fans out there!)

I bought my Status series II back in 1986. It came with an original fitted case, that has a moulded foam insert shaped to the exact shape of the bass. Very safe, very snug. So far so good.

Unfortunately, 24 years later, that foam is starting to deteriorate quite badly into a dark grey gritty powder. It is getting into various holes and gaps in the bass and generally irritating me!

Is this a known problem in Status cases of this age or have I just been unlucky? Is it easy to replace? Need it be done by Rob Green or is there another manufacturer that can custom mould/cut foam to fit?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Conan' post='1060455' date='Dec 16 2010, 12:04 PM']Hi all (and particularly the Status fans out there!)

I bought my Status series II back in 1986. It came with an original fitted case, that has a moulded foam insert shaped to the exact shape of the bass. Very safe, very snug. So far so good.

Unfortunately, 24 years later, that foam is starting to deteriorate quite badly into a dark grey gritty powder. It is getting into various holes and gaps in the bass and generally irritating me!

Is this a known problem in Status cases of this age or have I just been unlucky? Is it easy to replace? Need it be done by Rob Green or is there another manufacturer that can custom mould/cut foam to fit?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Not just Your Problem! the foam does deteriorate in cases after many years! not just Status Ones! :) .You might want to have a word with Lozbass on the forum ! he has had cases refoamed in the past and will probably be able to help!. :lol:

[quote name='MB1' post='1060476' date='Dec 16 2010, 12:18 PM']MB1. :)
Not just Your Problem! the foam does deteriorate in cases after many years! not just Status Ones! :lol: .You might want to have a word with Lozbass on the forum ! he has had cases refoamed in the past and will probably be able to help!. :D[/quote]

Cheers! Nice to hear that my problems are not unique. Not [i]this[/i] one, anyway... :)

Hi Conan (and Martin!) - as MB1 suggests, I too suffered from the foam deterioration problem. A nasty, gritty, sticky mess that left an unpleasant film on the bass and reduced the protective functionality of the case. I spoke to 5 Star who indicated they could do the re-foaming work (they were interested to see the case too!) However, from what I remember it would have been a custom job as they didn't retain the original Status templates. Given that I'm in the North, it was too much of a trek to 5 Star and I elected to use a company in Manchester. BSH did an absolutely superb job but charged accordingly. The new foam insert (and the foam in the lid - I had this replaced too) are high quality and fur covered - they're better than the original inserts. The job cost £100 though - a bit expensive in my opinion, I'm sure you could get something much more competitive. I think that any pro flightcase company could help you out. I have to be honest, I wouldn't go for a re-foam again. Probably a much better idea to just get a Status Hiscox case. Carrying full flights has lost its fun element for me and I'd prefer the lighter option. If you want to contact BSH, drop me a PM and I'll pass on the company's details. If you do PM, let me have the serial of your bass - it's probably very close to mine - I'm not sure if mine arrived in '85 or '86 (probably the former).

Good luck!

[quote name='lozbass' post='1062687' date='Dec 18 2010, 05:49 PM']Probably a much better idea to just get a Status Hiscox case. Carrying full flights has lost its fun element for me and I'd prefer the lighter option. If you want to contact BSH, drop me a PM and I'll pass on the company's details. If you do PM, let me have the serial of your bass - it's probably very close to mine - I'm not sure if mine arrived in '85 or '86 (probably the former).[/quote]

Thanks for the info! Ironically, I used to have the serial number of my Status in my sig, but I thought it came across as a bit "anoraky"!! It is actually #263, and it was completed in late 1986.

I'd never though of looking at Hiscox, as I assumed that only Status would make Status cases - given the unusual shape of their guitars. Would a new case cost less than the hundred quid you paid for the re-foam work?

I totally agree about the unwieldy nature of the original flight cases. I'm always bashing it off walls, doors, etc!! :) I'm highly unlikely to ever sell my Series II, but if I did I could obviously sell it with the original case AND lighter Hiscox version! Thanks for that - I'll have a look now!

Geoff

EDIT: Just looked at the status website and they sell moulded cases for £68!! Excellent! Cheers again lozbass!

Edited by Conan

Excellent news Geoff - and no problem on the advice (I'm pleased that it worked out!) I'm very tempted myself at £68 for the Status branded version. I don't actually carry my Status SII around much (partially as a consequence of the weight of the case) but it would be nice to have the lighter option. As you say, if you ever come to sell the bass, having both cases would be a good selling point (I understand what you say about holding on to it though!) Our basses are extremely close - mine is 251 so probably mid '86 - that kind of fits with my memory: I should go and take a look at the original spec card and confirm the construction date.

Good luck - I hope the new case works out well (let me know if you decide to go for a re-foam and I can give you the details) - cheers, Lozbass