Why become a member? ×

Winter Tube Amp Care

bobbass4k

I'll be leaving my amp (Simms Watts PA 100, all tube) down here for a month while I go back home for xmas . My radiator will be off and it gets mighty chilly in here. My main concern is if the tubes get really cold they might crack when I start using the amp again. Is there anything I can do preventatively? Or would I just have to make sure to acclimatize them gradually before using it? This is my first tube amp if you can't tell.

If you leave it in the same room, just let it warm up with the room when you are back. The risky bits are taking it from a cold place to a warm moist place, and condensation forming on it, then you have water and electric. Avoid that by giving it time to acclimatise. The other is taking a hot tube amp into a cold wind, like a rapid clear out from a gig, when a cold blast of wind can shatter your valves through thermal shock.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1058079' date='Dec 14 2010, 12:14 AM']If you leave it in the same room, just let it warm up with the room when you are back. The risky bits are taking it from a cold place to a warm moist place, and condensation forming on it, then you have water and electric. Avoid that by giving it time to acclimatise. The other is taking a hot tube amp into a cold wind, like a rapid clear out from a gig, when a cold blast of wind can shatter your valves through thermal shock.[/quote]

Cheers dude, I was wondering whether it would be you or umph first :)

I might drape a precautionary sheet over it in case just in case it does get moist in here but I figured it was just a case of making sure the valves had a chane to warm up slowly.