Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Celinder Vintage Precision (2007)

lozbass

Hi you can see the original sale thread here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66420&hl=Celinder&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...linder&st=0[/url]

More pictures at:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77314&hl=celinder"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=celinder[/url]

No hyperbole, just honestly the best long scale bass I've ever played. I only play shorties now so the Celinder is redundant.

Comes with a new Celinder P pickup (Kent Armstrong) and a new black scratchplate. Supplied in a new Hiscox case. The bass is almost unused - the only sign of play wear is slap rash on the scratchplate. Recent Ged Green set-up with D'Addario light nickels (40-95)

I paid £2900 in total for the bass, pickup and case - the price of £2600 is firm - I can't afford a really big hit on this.

I've seen a lot of Celinders and this is certainly among the best - probably up there with the Me'shell bass.

Can ship at cost (UK, Europe, US) or arrange collection in central Manchester. Due to lack of time, I don't intend to advertise for long - this bass will probably go on to consignment sale if it doesn't sell here.

I'll try to answer any questions quickly but I'm really pushed for time.

Basic info:

Danish Alder body - super light - less than 8lbs in total I think
Super figured maple neck with tint lacquer
Brazillian rosewood board - white binding
Jazz profile neck - extremely slim
Super low action (honestly - it's ridiculous with no buzz)
'59 burst finish (two-tone sunburst)
Aguilar circuit
Nordstrand pickup
34" scale
1.5" nut

Just get in touch if you need to know more - cheers!

Edited by lozbass

My old bass. I played about 20 Celinders in my life, and this one is in the top 3 of all time favorites with my old J Classic, and Flankers former 5 string fretles. I'm afraid I will not be able to afford it, but will think about it the next couple of days. Amazing bass.

Good luck with the sale Lozbass!

Hi Brusen, my understanding is that the bass was originally supplied with a standard CP and Celinder pickup. The purchaser found a mould mark on the pickup and returned the bass. After a bit of messing about (all the pickups had the same mould mark), there was a decision to fit the Nordstrand and at the same time the Agi (maybe it's perceived to fit better with the Nordy?) I'm afraid that's all I know (or think I know) - whatever the truth, the tone is spectacular!

[quote name='lozbass' post='1056436' date='Dec 12 2010, 09:10 PM']Hi Brusen, my understanding is that the bass was originally supplied with a standard CP and Celinder pickup. The purchaser found a mould mark on the pickup and returned the bass. After a bit of messing about (all the pickups had the same mould mark), there was a decision to fit the Nordstrand and at the same time the Agi (maybe it's perceived to fit better with the Nordy?) I'm afraid that's all I know (or think I know) - whatever the truth, the tone is spectacular![/quote]

Ok, sounds weird. I also had a P vintage 4 once, a very nice bass. It was supplied with a P size neck though. And the CP-2 preamp and Celinder pickup.

/R.

Hi Brusen and all - thanks very much for the very kind comments and PMs. The pickup story is probably not that weird given Chris' pedigree - an absolutely world leading luthier but a few customer issues I'm told.

To clarify, I was in communication with the original commissioning purchaser of the Celinder (a really nice guy - incredibly helpful - he even sent the email string associated with the spec and purchase of the bass). As far as I understand it, minor markings on the original Celinder pickup cover resulted in return of the pickup and a request for a replacement (I don't blame the buyer - Celinders are very expensive and given the options on this one, a tremendously expensive purchase - you'd want it to be perfect!) Chris sent another pickup that had the same tiny mould mark on the little hump that accommodates the fixing screw: this is the pickup that will be supplied with the bass (in addition to the Nordstrand that is currently in place) - the Celinder pickup is unfitted and brand new and the moulding mark really is absolutely tiny! The purchaser then sent the bass back to Chris to get it fully sorted. As all the pickups had the same mark, there was agreement that a Nordstrand would be fitted as a substitute for the original. At the same time, the bass was fitted with the Agi pre. Neither the original purchaser nor myself know why the decision was taken. Whatever the reason, it was a good move as the bass has an incredible range of tones - from a good stab at vintage to very modern. The slap tone is superb too.

I hope this helps - all the work on replacement of the pickup and circuit was undertaken by Chris Celinder in the few weeks following the original delivery.

I can report that the bass is now on hold - thanks again for enquiries - I'll post more on Saturday.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='1058386' date='Dec 14 2010, 11:55 AM']The new owner will be a very happy with this. When you play this bass for the first time, you will stop playing after a few notes, because you have to say WOW first. :)
Amazing bass.[/quote]

Haha - thanks Rory, this is very true!