Why become a member? ×

Tab Request - Alone, Big Country

SPHDS

Trying to work out this no. but can't find any Tabs for it on the net and am can't work out a few parts of it!

I mainly want the main riffs - (verse/chorus/solo etc) but any of Tony's more fancy bits are a bonus!

Hope you can help!

Sam

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6p1DPWF4rQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6p1DPWF4rQ[/url]

I don't have a tab for this one but I do remember playing it (I'm a huge Big Country fan though, and I do regularly play a lot of their earlier songs).

If memory serves, the main riff follows the pattern of:

G------------------
D------------------
A------3----5----3
E---3--------------

From that progression you can work out the little flourishes and fills...it's very simple for Big Country really! Just remember your palm mutes!

Yeah, really like them too - am going to try and persuade the band I am in to do Alone, and it adds weight to proposal if I can play it!

Actually tracked down the chords for the song, which I know are only the basics, but I can work out the flourishes as I go along!

Main Riff seems to be A - C - F - C (for verse/chorus), with G - F link between the two

Pre-Verse A, C - G, A, F - G, A, C - G, G

It seems to work out ok!

Just for this thread, I'll post in my three favourite Big Country tunes...

and a rather amazing live version...check out the intro when the guitars kick in, such a groove!

This next one is another hidden gem from "Steeltown". The bass tone here is mint. I sometimes go for that cranked pick sound with my ACG. The chopping guitar sound that kicks in at 01:08 is good enough, but then you get that bit at 01:48 when the jangly strat sound comes in along with an absolutely driving bassline, leading you into the "big riff" section just a few moments later. I could listen to this song all day, it's class.

And the classic "Angle Park"...

Although I could go on all day about how much I love Big Country and which songs are amazing, I won't. They are just an amazing band, with probably the best rhythm section in rock outside of Rush! It's just one of those rare occasions when, much like with Rush, every band member is a massive talent. If you're a fan of Tony Butler's bass playing, check this track out aswell...another 80's classic with impeccable playing!

• 4 weeks later...