Why become a member? ×

live sound

bobbytodd

Unless your guitarist is out of this world talented or he owns a brewery, a tour bus and a recording studio I'd suggest being totally blunt and tell him to stop being a c**k. Ultimately he'll drive punters away and then your band will struggle to get re booked anywhere. Landlords are not all as stupid as they appear to be.

His rig is clearly an extension of his penis and nothing more. If he were a musician he'd know his amp really is there to produce a nice sound that can go into the pa via a mic and only really has to act as a monitor for himself. a 60w 1x12 is more than enough for pubs and clubs.

If he's not interested in listening to feedback now then it's unlikely he ever will.

Our guitarist is great and only uses a little 60w amp but by christ he can steal the show anytime he wants because he's got bags of talent, he sits well in the mix and he has everything under control (possibly a bass player in disguise).

Tee Hee....I'm so glad this sort of thing doesn't just go on in Orchestra's. I've spent the past 20 years or so playing 'Cello in Orchestras putting up with the Ego thing. People thinking they are better than they actually are and wanting to sit in the best positions!

I'm lucky since I switched to Bass in that the band I am in are all the same age, all like the same stuff and were not precious about anything....although having said that I wish the Lead Retardist would play some rockier stuff

See, you cant win! :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1050050' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:29 PM']...
Regarding the 'order' of loudness of instruments, this makes absolutely no sense to a sound engineer whether you're talking about live or recorded. You're not all producing the loudest part of your signal at the same time - live, the drums will always be way louder than anything else at their peak but that lasts a fraction of a second each beat, in between is when you hear the guitar etc. Plus you can have multiple sounds all loudest at different frequencies - the ability of ears to separate out different frequency sounds is why we can enjoy polyphonic music!
...[/quote]

It does. The vocals need to be heard and need to be louder, they're in the same frequency range as the guitars. Essentially, what you are talking about is mostly down to arrangements. Whether you are talking louder across the spectrum or just louder in the characteristic frequencies for that voice/instrument.

A mix where every instrument is the same volume will sound bland and uninteresting. It is down to each performer to know when to play loudly and when to play quietly. Individual dynamics and group dynamics are what makes the music come alive.

Equally a band where every musician is throwing in fancy licks and frills at every opportunity is tiring. I stopped playing in bands like that 15 years ago, but I still see bands playing like that.

Simply blasting the audience with everything at the same volume won't work.

If the guitarist is using the band as a vehicle to show off his talents and the band are happy with that then no problem, turn down and stick around for the ride. If not then the whole band need to have a word.

breakthrough took our guitarist to one side last night and showed him a select few of the above posts(the more technical posts)and it seems to have done the trick the back line was nice and quiet and the pa did all the work.for the first time in ages my ears wernt ringing like hell afterwards.so cheers lads