Why become a member? ×

Playing through your computer

niceguyhomer

I tried to buy a practice combo today but failed miserably and so now, I'm re-evaluating what I need for practicing at home. I usually play in my den (box room) using a Tascam Bass Trainer and headphones but TBH, I get a bit fed up with having to wear headphones preferring a more natural sound through speakers.

In addition to the Tascam I have a decent PC with not so decent speakers that has Guitar Pro loaded on it. I also have a decent CD player, NAD 3020 amp and some nice Gale bookshelf speakers.

Is there a way I can bring this all together and maybe play along to to stuff on the Tascam and CDs through my stereo or PC without headphones? I'd also like to be able to play along to Guitar Pro tracks too if possible. I don't mind spending a few bob if it gets me what i need but I don't know what I need.

Please help an old fart with this cos I'm thick when it comes down to technical matters.

I use a Roland Micro Cube Bass RX, costs around £165 new. Apart from sounding really good, with various amp settings and effects available,
it also has an aux-in for CD/computer/iPod etc. It's great for playing along with songs and learning new stuff.
It's tiny but packs a punch, can run on batteries too if required, and sits next to my chair in the living room, without my other half moaning.

Edited by thebrig

Sure. I used to do this all the time.

You take a stereo minijack out from your PC's sound card and into a pair of phono connectors on your amp (try the aux in). You can buy the cable in most electrical shops.

Your bass goes into your soundcard via a Jack to minijack adapter. You might have to hunt about a bit for one, but the bigger electrical / audio places have them. An active bass will give you enough level; a passive might need a little preamp boost.

You use your PC sound card software to control the volume. Keep the bass low to protect the speakers and away ya go :)

Play CDs through your PC rather than your CD player.

If you want better sound quality from the PC get a second hand PCI sound card like the audio delta 4040. £40 ish. Brilliant sound.

Edited by fatback

I use guitar rig session i/o. It's really simple to set up & there's an input for the bass/guitar on the i/o & outputs on the back which go to the hifi amp.
This can be bought for £79 from a few places. When I got it, there was a promotion for a free upgrade to the full guitar rig, but this isn't needed for bass as the bass amp model is included with the bundled cut-down version. I usually play along woth tracks from iTunes, so it should work with other software as well.

Depending on your PC and sound card you may get low latency, clicking and distortion. I had this and overcame it by using ASIO4ALL driver for the sound card. It bypasses all the internal junk and reduces latency to about 3-4ms.
When using a PC I use Bass -> Tascam MP-TB-1 -> Line In on PC -> Guitar Rig & WMP

[quote name='Dizzy_G' post='1047826' date='Dec 4 2010, 10:27 PM']Depending on your PC and sound card you may get low latency, clicking and distortion. I had this and overcame it by using ASIO4ALL driver for the sound card. It bypasses all the internal junk and reduces latency to about 3-4ms.
When using a PC I use Bass -> Tascam MP-TB-1 -> Line In on PC -> Guitar Rig & WMP[/quote]

+1 on ASIO4ALL if you want to record along with playback in Guitar pro. Or use a soundcard with ASIO drivers like the M-Audio.

But you don't need any of that just for playalong.