Why become a member? ×

Four Finger Picking Solo Ideas - Lesson Video

urb

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1044661' date='Dec 2 2010, 09:03 AM']I will definitely watch this when I get home. I love your videos, particularly those that highlight these sorts of thing - thanks for taking the time to make these.[/quote]

Cool man, I hope you find it useful, let me know

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,
I might be wrong, but it seems like the timing, especially near the start, wanders a little when using this technique? I am by no means trying to bag you out, and I'm a fan of lots of players who use this kinda picking, but it reminds me of what vic says 'when I learn a technique, I try and make music with it'. Which by default would imply being locked into the groove, which your example doesn't quite do I don't think. I don't you to be offended by this! I was just curious as to why you would post an example how people could use a specific technique when said example is somewhat flawed..?
Cheers!
Craig

Hi Craig,

well I agree with you actually - but believe me when it comes to do multiple takes trying to get things totally note perfect there are only so many you can do! I hope you agree that I did get into the groove shortly after the start but to be completely honest I had limited time to make this vid so I hold my hands up and admit it's not perfect, this technique happens to be a bit tricky! I hope you understand,

M

[quote]I was just curious as to why you would post an example how people could use a specific technique when said example is somewhat flawed..?[/quote]
None of us have perfect technique - doesn't mean it is any less inspirational, motivational or helpful to post such an example.

As someone who also uses this technique, a big part of getting this down in consistency between the fingers - both in terms of sound and timing. It's a complex technique and as such it's easy to slip up. I would agree that things weren't quite in the pocket at the beginning, but I do think that video is a damn fine illustration of how you can use this technique to add to your playing and give you some options. Thanks Mike!

I've been having a bit of a go with this kind of picking myself over the past couple of years, although I'm still struggling to find ways to really work it into my playing past simply soloing with it. I've found it useful for getting stacatto sequences of mutes and stuff but I guess we'll have to wait for it to evolve a bit and develop beyond being a great soloing tool!