Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Musitronics Mu-Tron III

Gunsfreddy2003

So I finally took the plunge and bought a vintage Musitronics Mu-Tron III as I wanted to find out if they really are the holy grail when it comes to envelope filters. I had a rehearsal last night and used the pedal for the first time and wow what a sound! It is the wettest, dirtiest and funkiest filter that I have ever used. I had the pedal modded by L-Sound so that it is now true bypass and they also re-calibrated it which I understand make it sound better.

I have tried a lot of other filters and the 'tron certainly gets me the sound that I have always been after from a filter. If anyone is going through the dilemma that I was over these legendary pedals then take the plunge and buy one - you wont be disappointed.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1044360' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:19 PM']So I finally took the plunge and bought a vintage Musitronics Mu-Tron III as I wanted to find out if they really are the holy grail when it comes to envelope filters. I had a rehearsal last night and used the pedal for the first time and wow what a sound! It is the wettest, dirtiest and funkiest filter that I have ever used. I had the pedal modded by L-Sound so that it is now true bypass and they also re-calibrated it which I understand make it sound better.

I have tried a lot of other filters and the 'tron certainly gets me the sound that I have always been after from a filter. If anyone is going through the dilemma that I was over these legendary pedals then take the plunge and buy one - you wont be disappointed.[/quote]

I guess you are referring to the modern "replica" of the Mutron? If so, there are snobs who thumb their noses at them (and the Maxon AF-9 is allegedly the true descendent), but I have played with one and thought it amazing!

I also have an AF-9 - it's pretty cool, but I actually prefer my Boss AW-2.

Trust only your own ears!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1045131' date='Dec 2 2010, 02:27 PM']How does that bit of lore go?

I thought the Q-Tron was the updated Mu-Tron, given that it was designed by Mike Beigel?[/quote]

I don't remember where I read it. Perhaps from before the Q-Tron - although I doubt that as (according to Wikipedia Biegel) was commisssioned in 1995.

I know that, after having enjoyed playing with the Mutron III, unable to find one in the UK at a reasonable price, what I read prompted me to search for an affordable AF-9 for many months - eventually picking one up in 2003. Maybe the article was hokey. I dunno.

No - this is the real deal original 70's version and not the HAZ labs re-issue. I did try the Haz labs version and can honestly say that I could not get a useable sound out of it but there are some people over on Talk Bass who have put up some clips using them and they sound brilliant! Not sure what I was doing wrong?

Anyhow, the 70's version is purely a plug and play affair and straight away you are into some awesome funky squelch.

I did try the AF-9 and it was not for me - too thin in the bottom end. I also thought that the Q-Tron is the only descendent of Mu-Tron as it was the same guy that worked on both.

Never tried an AW-2.

[quote name='The Twickerman' post='1045123' date='Dec 2 2010, 02:18 PM']I guess you are referring to the modern "replica" of the Mutron? If so, there are snobs who thumb their noses at them (and the Maxon AF-9 is allegedly the true descendent), but I have played with one and thought it amazing!

I also have an AF-9 - it's pretty cool, but I actually prefer my Boss AW-2.

Trust only your own ears![/quote]

I had one and don't think it lasted on the board for more than 2 weeks - just couldn't get the sound that I wanted out of it.

How are you getting on with it?

[quote name='dumelow' post='1047526' date='Dec 4 2010, 04:47 PM']I thought the Q-tron was just a mutron ripoff but came pretty close to its sound.

Ive just bought a q-tron plus off ebay im hoping I can get a bootsy-ish sound out of it =D[/quote]

[quote name='dumelow' post='1047526' date='Dec 4 2010, 04:47 PM']I thought the Q-tron was just a mutron ripoff but came pretty close to its sound.

Ive just bought a q-tron plus off ebay im hoping I can get a bootsy-ish sound out of it =D[/quote]
i used a q-tron plus for years, loved it.. the down sweep is killer !!
great having the fx loop too.....

I got it in the post a couple of days ago, really loving it. I used to have a mini qtron, which is a poor version of this pedal IMO. Still getting to grips with it, and havent played about with the FX loop yet, but it gets a pretty good Bootsy sound. No idea what its like in comparison to a proper mutron.

I wonder if the Q-Tron + sounds any different to the regular Q-Tron?

It's great that you are getting some good sounds out of it - can you post any clips?

I am hoping to get a USB interface for Xmas and if so I will put some Mu-Tron III clips up for those that like this kind of thing!!

[quote name='dumelow' post='1059803' date='Dec 15 2010, 06:00 PM']I got it in the post a couple of days ago, really loving it. I used to have a mini qtron, which is a poor version of this pedal IMO. Still getting to grips with it, and havent played about with the FX loop yet, but it gets a pretty good Bootsy sound. No idea what its like in comparison to a proper mutron.[/quote]

I can actually! its a bit late now like but ill get some clips recorded in the morning and let you have a listen.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1059814' date='Dec 15 2010, 06:10 PM']I wonder if the Q-Tron + sounds any different to the regular Q-Tron?

It's great that you are getting some good sounds out of it - can you post any clips?

I am hoping to get a USB interface for Xmas and if so I will put some Mu-Tron III clips up for those that like this kind of thing!![/quote]