Why become a member? ×

speaker re-edge

andytoad

ok, I have finally got hold of the 16 ohm 10" celestions for my 2x10 cab. one of them i bought as a pair off evilbay (sorry) knowing that one of the pair is farting because of a slightly split diaphram.

seeing as they seemed pretty hard to come by, I thought i might try my luck with a re-edge kit to see if i can get the 3rd broken speaker working as a spare.

So, is it worth doing? I see you can pick kits from the US, but is this the sort of thing and amatuer could be successful with or is it a skilled task? Im pretty nifty with my hands, so feel confident if it is not too skilled.

if its worth doing, cab the spare be picked up cheap in the uk? or is there someone local in kent that could repair it cheaply?

your thoughts everyone?

[quote name='andytoad' post='1041595' date='Nov 29 2010, 08:24 PM']ok, I have finally got hold of the 16 ohm 10" celestions for my 2x10 cab. one of them i bought as a pair off evilbay (sorry) knowing that one of the pair is farting because of a slightly split diaphram.

seeing as they seemed pretty hard to come by, I thought i might try my luck with a re-edge kit to see if i can get the 3rd broken speaker working as a spare.

So, is it worth doing? I see you can pick kits from the US, but is this the sort of thing and amatuer could be successful with or is it a skilled task? Im pretty nifty with my hands, so feel confident if it is not too skilled.

if its worth doing, cab the spare be picked up cheap in the uk? or is there someone local in kent that could repair it cheaply?

your thoughts everyone?[/quote]

Is the split on the centre dome or on the edge of the driver?

[quote name='andytoad' post='1041662' date='Nov 29 2010, 09:21 PM']its on the edge of the driver on the diaphram...[/quote]

Hmm.
Not quite so easy there.

In the past I have managed to get an extra year or two out of drivers like this by using tissue paper and copydex.

Just build up layers of tissue paper on either side of the tear (assuming you can get to the underside of course) - the copydex soaks into the tissue and you end up with a flexible rubberised patch - 4 or 5 layers of paper seems to do the trick.
If you can only get to the topside then I would guess it'll work but I wouldn't hold out much hope of it being a permanant fix.

As the speaker is of no use as it is you've not got much to lose giving it a try to be honest.