Why become a member? ×

Equalization a few Q's

son of frog

Searched the forum no-one seems to have asked this
Now i know equalization is an important part of getting a good tone and balance of Highs and Lows, and the setup i'm using at the moment doesn't have a lot of EQ settings, i want something compact and relatively cheap

I basically want to know what EQ stomp boxes are best used with bass, I have talked to a few players who use standard Guitar EQ stomp boxes, but is this getting the best out of my tone?

A couple of Stomp boxes i've short listed are either,
-The Boss Bass EQ Pedal, which is a more expensive option... or
-The MXR M109 6 Band EQ pedal, I've heard good stuff about, But any good for bass?

They're both pretty compact, I also would think about investing the MXR 10 Band EQ if it would give me significantly more options...

Someone help me out, :|

what bass/amp set up do you run ?

these are not e.q. pedals as such, but will make small amps sound more dynamic.

hartke vxl - excellent di pedal, with bass and treble controls and hartkes own sweepable tone-shape circuit.

aphex bass exciter - another budget di with low/high boost. makes a practise amp sound like a bigger rig.

both will help beef up your sound, and are suitable for active and passive basses.

Basically as above. If you've got a decent rig, you shouldn't need an eq pedal unless you're wanting to quickly change mid song for something like going from fingering to slapping (sounds like a date gone wrong!).
My band have one song that I do this in & use my Murf as an EQ for this (it's a very useful pedal, if pricey).

At the moment i'm using an old Trace Elliot combo, which does have a 7 band EQ, But i just don't seem to get a great sound with it on and generally the amp sounds better without it, But then again, i like the idea of being able to swap out the high ends and low ends at a click of a button, If any of you have ever seen the bassist from King's X's set up you'll notice he has two yamaha EQ's with one that is switching all the high end off and low on, and another with all the high end on and all low end off,

Although he uses this very uniquely to better his sound it would be useful having different EQ settings quickly which is why i was thinking about buying two of the smaller MXR 6 band EQ pedals, can anyone advise me on this?

Basically i want to know what the best small EQ stomp boxes are best for this purpose.

cheers

Having had a Trace myself, the pedal I bought to beef it up was the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver.

Apparently the programmable version of this enables you to have 3 pre-programmed sounds, so that you can switch between each. May be what you`re looking for.