Why become a member? ×

Dub set up

BroomKing

Afternoon all,

I've just finished my PhD and my supervisor, a fellow bass player, has said that in return for his help over the years I can help him set up his bass. I worked in a guitar shop for about ten years so I'm fairly confident with the old technical jiggery pokery but I'm not that familiar with setting up basses for dub. I am a straight-ahead, 'make it as loud as you can and give it a boatload of snarl' kind of modifier but I don't think this is going to cut the mustard when it comes to a dub set up.

I'm not sure of his pickup configuration yet and it's a really odd bass that he bought from a shop in Manchester in the '80s. I've never seen another one but I can't for the life of me remember the make or model. However, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with dub set ups and, if so, whether you could offer any advice as to which pickups, bridges, etc, would do the best job.

All help gratefully received!

What do you mean by "set up"? To me it means setting the action and intonation, checking that all the electrics and movable components work as they should. It's more about maintenance than anything to do with finding a sound. When you mention different pickups and bridges etc you are into the realms of modding. Is that what he wants you to do with his bass?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1034984' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:36 PM']What do you mean by "set up"? To me it means setting the action and intonation, checking that all the electrics and movable components work as they should. It's more about maintenance than anything to do with finding a sound. When you mention different pickups and bridges etc you are into the realms of modding. Is that what he wants you to do with his bass?[/quote]

Yup, everything. A whole set up, new pickups, everything. Currently it's in pieces and it's been that way for a while.

I play in a reggae band and Im a big fan of the jazz bass sound. Also I once used some rotosound black nylon strings. They sounded great for reggae/dub and were low tension so really easy to play. The only reason I got rid of them was because they weren't versatile enough. So if he was only playing dub then they would definately be worth a try. Imsurrently using labella flatwounds though, just because they also work well when playing a range of styles.

Kev

I'm a Dub Addict Reggae Bassman. To get deep into Rumbleland, a combination of a Fender '73 Tele Bass (Squier do a reissue around £270- bargain) wi the the big fat humbucker PU right on the neck, tone = 0. Strung with Rotosound Tru Bass Black Nylon Flatwounds. Graphic EQ - Boost 50hz, Cut 150-300hz (to cut out the mud), Cut everything above 800hz. 2x10 + 1x15/18 speaker cabs and chuck away any horns. To even look at a plectrum is a sackable offence !!! (fingers and thumbs only)
Only then, would Lee "Scratch" Perry consider you entry to the Studio.
One Love.
Dubby