Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt guitar amp and cab for bass - who woulda thunk?

The Dark Lord

I turned up to another rehearsal space in Worthing on the South Coast the other day. They had a Hartke bass head with some sort of cab - possibly a Hartke 4x12. I wasn't that bown away by it. So, I had a try at the Hiwatt Guitar head and matching 4 x 12 cab across the room. I thought it rocked! It was a big monster-sized head with an equally impressive looking cab. I used it clean at first and then dialed in the teeniest touch of break up. I luuuuurved it. Lots of bass players have used guitar amps (particularly Hiwatts) over the years. So I noted down the model number and checked it out online when I got home. Amazingly, I discovered it was a £300 solid state budget model - the Maxwatt GR200 ... with matching £300 4x12 cab. I listened back to the recording just to check I wasn't mistaken. Okay, I like old school Brit rock tones - but this was very good. Looked kinda cool too. I know it won't be suitable for all styles and won't be too flexible - but I might just get the wallet out.

Edited by mercuryl

Don't know about the new stuff but the old Hiwatts were marked AP on the back; for "All Purpose". Many bands used them on bass; a few used them on & off for guitar; The Who, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull - Slade used them on everything.

Many of the Hiwatt old-school users don't class Music Grounds Hiwatts as the real deal - but that's more to do with MG than the amp itself.
Be very careful about using it with just one cab though. The speakers may not be up to taking bass guitar for long periods & the wattage of one cab may not have enough headroom.

Edited by Big_Stu